Why become a member? ×

Drum & Bass - help me get my head/ears around it

Mykesbass

39 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Love this. Takes me back and now feeling old.

I was chatting with a mate a while back and we talked about some early Prodigy bootleg tape we used to listen to (pretty sure they weren't even officially "the Prodigy" at that point)..realised that tape was 30+ years ago and got a rough kick in the sack.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For about 10 weeks in 2008 I used to have to drive up from Cheltenham to Seven Sisters once a week and back again in the wee small hours. There used to be a show on radio 1 hosted by Nihal and Bobby Friction playing slamming tunes from the Asian underground. This was, is, my fave, some breakneck d n'b with a strong Indian vibe

Got to be worth chucking a bit of Noisia in the mix. They produced across many genres and are well worth checking out if dark, face twisting electronic music is your thing..

Edit - this is huge

Edited by BreadBin

I'm looking forward to listening to all the above, thanks for posting everyone! I hadn't thought of a link between d'n'b and minimalist composition before, that's a fascinating angle.

I just saw there's been a series about the history of drum'n'bass on the radio - haven't listened to that yet either.

I was also never much of a clubber, to me drum'n'bass is what was always on the radio in the 2am minicab from one part of North London to another when I got to tag along with my slightly younger and cooler music student mate…

• Like 2

Don't think anybody mentioned 4Hero yet. Thier "Creating Patterns" is a great record, more song based, and slightly less one dimensional than a lot (of the club based tracks).

Photek's "Modus Operandi" and Goldie's "Timeless" also bear repeated listening.

L.T.J. Bukem's "Logical Progression" compilation was also a favourite of mine back in the day, for the "intelligent" d'n'b vibe.

• Like 2

So I didn't get jungle either, and I did dig electronica at that time.

The album I would suggest anyone listen to in full to at least get an intro into how good jungle can be is T-Power's Self Evident Truth of an Intuitive  Mind.

It's like prog jungle, and absolutely amazing 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

Definitely check out LTJ Bukem and the Logical Progression, or Progression Sessions series.

They came as a two disc set, one with MC’ing and one without.

The genre was billed as “intelligent drum & bass”. They are heading for 20 years old now, but I think have aged well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, markbunney said:

Definitely check out LTJ Bukem and the Logical Progression, or Progression Sessions series.

They came as a two disc set, one with MC’ing and one without.

The genre was billed as “intelligent drum & bass”. They are heading for 20 years old now, but I think have aged well.

Thanks. Have heard some LTJ Bukem tracks which didn't work for me, but will try this - the sub-genre sounds interesting!