Why become a member? ×

Classic vibe 70’s PBass mods

Guest BassAdder27

After upgrading my pickups to the Dimarzio DP122 which are amazing pickups I decided the shielding buzz was the next thing to tackle. 
I purchased 20mm copper tape and lined the pickup cavity and the control plate cavity and it made a huge difference. I would like to change the tone pot and capacitor too 

It’s turned a good bass into a great bass 

Going to fit a HiMass bridge too as next job ( already fitted this bridge on my Player Series PBass )

Edited by BassAdder27

Totally agree that lining with copper foil is a great move - my G&L Tribute LB-100 buzzed like an angry hive of bees in our rehearsal space until I lined the control cavity. An inexpensive improvement and a therapeutic half hour spent fettling your bass.

Not only needed on less expensive basses - I needed to do my USA G&L L-1000 and that wasn't quite as therapeutic as I kinda grudged having to do it on a bass that cost around 4 times as much as the Tribute, grr!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, neepheid said:

and that wasn't quite as therapeutic as I kinda grudged having to do it on a bass that cost around 4 times as much as the Tribute, grr!

Better not buy a Rickenbacker then!!  Mine buzzed like a beacon and had zero - I mean zero - cavity shielding! Unbelievable on an instrument costing north of 2.5k.......grr, indeed!

Grt choice. Ive owned gazillions of P's and now own one... the CV 70's like yours, that thick neck is brill.   Anyway a buzzing P is a bad earth and nout to do with copper sheilding even tho you appear to have had some sort of a result...very unusual tho.

13 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

Grt choice. Ive owned gazillions of P's and now own one... the CV 70's like yours, that thick neck is brill.   Anyway a buzzing P is a bad earth and nout to do with copper sheilding even tho you appear to have had some sort of a result...very unusual tho.

My Player Series is whisper quiet and was from new.

The CV was noisy with stock pickups and even more noticeable with the Dimarzio when fitted.

Since the shielding job it’s now as quiet as my Player Series. 

69A37726-2707-45F9-850E-4D9B09F4B38A.thumb.jpeg.ef6db18cff2c989801f6364c0ec98ca3.jpeg8154AC40-C769-4C73-974F-8A041433A10A.thumb.jpeg.c08a96e266a5b431bb6fd62c77f9d2b2.jpegOk folks Fender HiMass bridge fitted ( nice ) new mini Alpha pots fitted and new cap. 

New strings fitted and it’s sounding great with the Dimarzio pickup 

Pleased with it now and plays well too 

Edited by BassAdder27

@BassAdder27 Looking good! Did the Fender HiMass bridge drop straight in to the existing holes? I've read the earlier (crafted in China) CV's had a different, non-Fender screw spacing, but the later ones are the standard Fender spacing? Struggling to find a schematic with measurements of hole spacing.

17 minutes ago, Happypants said:

@BassAdder27 Looking good! Did the Fender HiMass bridge drop straight in to the existing holes? I've read the earlier (crafted in China) CV's had a different, non-Fender screw spacing, but the later ones are the standard Fender spacing? Struggling to find a schematic with measurements of hole spacing.

Hi .. yes it was a direct swop and works well. It’s the second one I purchased ( first one had brass saddles but came without pre slotted saddles ) 

The zinc / chrome was spot on out of the pack even the intonation was pre set and spot on. Great upgrade that looks classy and works better than the stock