Why become a member? ×

TC BG250 Tweeter

Rayman

So the Rayman (amp killer) strikes again, I’ve lost count of how many tweeters and amps generally I’ve destroyed over the years.

The latest is the 1” tweeter from my TC BG250 1x15 combo.

Its a pathetic looking plastic component, which I want to replace, question is, can I just drop a 300W rated car stereo tweeter in there? Or does it have to be like for like?

You can't do that. BTW, the usual reason for blown tweeters is that the crossover is dodgy, and does not provide adequate protection from low frequencies. They also tend to use cheap tweeters. You may be able to upgrade it, but no one can say how without knowing what's in there for both the tweeter and crossover.

• Like 2

This is a proper tweeter for electric bass: https://eminence.com/collections/bass-guitar/products/bgh25_8

Don't be thrown by the 25 watt rating. That's for the actual power in its passband, which is on average only 8% of the full system power. All tweeters used to be so rated, but it became too difficult for people to comprehend that of a 300 watt program perhaps 25 watts goes to the tweeter. In the cabs where I specify this tweeter I use a 4th order high pass filter that doubles its power handling.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 24/10/2022 at 20:35, 42Hz said:

Hey, @Rayman. Have you tried the Eminence tweeter in your BG250-115?

I haven’t mate….. I ended up pulling the tweeter out and running without one all together. However, I‘be been suffering with horrendous pain in my shoulders the last few months, which is still under investigation, but it’s stopped me playing at all for now. 

• Like 1

On 24/10/2022 at 22:15, stevie said:

You might like to look at the P.Audio tweeters, @42Hz. They're used by a lot of bass cab makers and are half the price of the Eminence here in the UK.

Thanks. The factory is a piezo driver. I use the tc also for keyboard so I miss a tweeter. I will look at p.audio tweeters they seem magnetic so I will need a different crossover. Do they have a webshop?

On 26/10/2022 at 12:18, Rayman said:

I haven’t mate….. I ended up pulling the tweeter out and running without one all together. However, I‘be been suffering with horrendous pain in my shoulders the last few months, which is still under investigation, but it’s stopped me playing at all for now. 

Wish you a good recovery. Thanks for answering.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 42Hz said:

Thanks. The factory is a piezo driver. I use the tc also for keyboard so I miss a tweeter. I will look at p.audio tweeters they seem magnetic so I will need a different crossover. Do they have a webshop?

Pretty sure the BG250 like most Combo/Cabs with piezo tweeters don't have a crossover.

When I dismantled mine it was a 10 ohm resistor in series. Same with a Markbass Combo.

• 1 month later...

A harsh tweeter is an indication of high THD, which can be sourced by the amp and/or the tweeter. When it's the tweeter the usual reason is a poor crossover, which allows far too much low frequency content to reach it.  The only thing most manufacturers go cheaper with than the tweeter is the crossover.

• Like 1