Why become a member? ×

Tried listening to Genesis today.....

Beedster

2 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Maybe they had a bad night when you saw them?  I’ve seen them 4 times and ‘lifeless’ certainly doesn’t apply!  

I am prepared to accept that might be the case, we all have off nights, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to see them again. 

I was lucky enough to see them at Earls Court in 1977 on the W&W tour (of which the Paris dates provided the material for Seconds Out). Chalk and cheese with SH's band. I love Steve's unique guitar sound and its always great to see him wringing those beautiful notes out but I'm afraid I find Nad toe-curlingly bad, to the extent I just can't bring myself to see the band play live again.

• Like 1

For me Genesis are thee prog band of the 70's. I had a ticket to see them at Newcastle City Hall on the Wind & Wuthering tour, but I came down with Meningitis three days beforehand. :( I like the post Hackett albums, but never felt the need to go and see them after he left. I make do with Seconds Out, it's a great and often overlooked live album, I hope one day they get around to releasing a version comprising the full show.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Could it be something to do with the fact the The Musical Box make the effort to source and play with period correct equipment?

TMB spent 5-figure $$$ amounts tracking down, purchasing and creating "Peter"'s rainbow cape for Watcher Of The Skies, down to finiding the same colours from the original silk manufacturers.

Also, fun fact, if TMB were actual Genesis, Phil would have retired by now and they'd be on the way to releasing Calling All Stations.

51 minutes ago, toneknob said:

TMB spent 5-figure $$$ amounts tracking down, purchasing and creating "Peter"'s rainbow cape for Watcher Of The Skies, down to finiding the same colours from the original silk manufacturers.

How daft. That is so unlike the original, I bet PG spent a few quid with what he had available!

The track Firth of Fifth has got to be Genesis at their most progtastic🤩. It has everything that made Genesis great: Wonderful classicalesque (did I just make up that word?) piano intro; Lyrics that sound profound but am still to this day clueless as to their meaning; movement from one contrasting section to another; synth solos, soaring guitar solo; uncommon time signatures, it's even got Mellotron in all it's prog glory for chrissakes! What's not to like? If you're a Sex Pistols fan on the other hand🤪

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

The track Firth of Fifth has got to be Genesis at their most progtastic🤩. It has everything that made Genesis great: Wonderful classicalesque (did I just make up that word?) piano intro; Lyrics that sound profound but am still to this day clueless as to their meaning; movement from one contrasting section to another; synth solos, soaring guitar solo; uncommon time signatures, it's even got Mellotron in all it's prog glory for chrissakes! What's not to like? If you're a Sex Pistols fan on the other hand🤪

Yes, I’ve said it before, but I do think that SEBTP was a fantastic album - Firth of Fifth along with Dancing with The Moonlit Knight, The Battle of Epping Forest, I Know What I Like and The Cinema Show - glorious 👍

When I was leaving behind my "rock" influences and sticking my nose in the air with "jazz", the guitarist I was shedding "Real Book" with described Genesis as "poor-man's Yes". So I believed him and didn't discover the band until (and King Crimson "Fracture") '79 at Berklee College of Music, when I had gotten thoroughly whizzed at the snobbery of the Jazzeratzi Party holding court in The Curriculum. (they didn't like Frank Zappa either).

I like the Genesis stuff that I like. 

And of course, Peter Gabriel hired this session bassist that wasn't allowed to take "that thing" out of it's case by Bob Ezrin on Peters 1st album, but asked, "Did you bring the Stick with you?" for the 2nd.

You live you learn.

• Like 1