Why become a member? Ɨ

Tried listening to Genesis today.....

Beedster

And was really surprised just how much I liked itĀ šŸ‘

Ā 

A while back my daughters insisted on a bloody Alexa, and while it took me a while, I've learned to shout "Alexa, play...." and then say the first band name that comes into my head. And today it was Genesis, and amazingly the first track was from Duke, an album I had heard and dismissed a long time ago but which just worked today.Ā 

Ā 

Wasn't so good when the first band that came into my head was Steps however. And not so good when Alexa's hearing aid failed and UFO become JLS. But otherwise, the Alexa game can be quite good funĀ šŸ¤”

Just now, Woodinblack said:

Duke was the first album I bought by genesis that I couldn't get into - it remained one of my most unlistened to albums, and I never really went back to it.

Maybe I should give it another chance at some point.

I understand exactly what you mean. I had the same reaction with the album that followed it - Abacab, but I grew to love it. I think Duke is closer to ....And Then There Were Three than Duke is to Abacab.

Ā I have never listened to post-Gabriel Genesis, not for any real reason, I just didn't then and don't now. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is my favourite album. Once Gabriel left I suppose it was A Trick of the Tail or Peter Gabriel 1, why I didn't try both I don't know? The stupidity of youth I suppose. I kicked all my prog music into touch for years after deciding punk and new wave was 'my' music, it was lovely to get off my high horse and reconnect with bands from before 1976-77 years later. I'm waffling, sorry.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Ā I have never listened to post-Gabriel Genesis, not for any real reason, I just didn't then and don't now. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is my favourite album. Once Gabriel left I suppose it was A Trick of the Tail or Peter Gabriel 1, why I didn't try both I don't know?Ā 

Ā 

For no particular reason - although possibly that I loved Gabriel's first solo album - I felt the same. What surprised me yesterday was that the tracks I heard felt like they were recorded a lot earlier than was the case. It actually took me a while for the 'It's Collins' voice' moment to happen.Ā 

Ā 

Having said the above, I still count Follow You Follow Me as one of my favourite all time songs, a bit out of character for me!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Having said the above, I still count Follow You Follow Me as one of my favourite all time songs, a bit out of character for me!

Ā 

Such a great record.

Ā 

I don't listen to Genesis much these days, but when I do, I usually reach for Foxtrot, especially Supper's Ready.Ā  I do still listen to Peter Gabriel quite a lot.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Back in the day, the Lamb was my favourite album, followed by Selling England. The one that has really grown on me in recent years was their first 'real' (ie, not Jonathan King produced) album, Trespass. The arrangements are brilliant (even without Steve Hackett ... shows how much they owe to Anthony Phillips) and its a great taster of what's to come in the next 4 or 5 years

Ā 

Post Gabriel my fave is Wind and Wuthering. The first album I ever bought on its release (with my hard-earned 13 year old cash from washing up in a restaurant)

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 1

I never really got into Genesis when I was growing up although my mate was as big a fan of them as I was of Yes. But I was persuaded to go and see them live in the early 90's and I was smitten. I prefer their Peter Gabriel era output now and through that I got into his stuff.

Ā 

Selling England pre PG or Trick of the Tail post PG, plus ALL of his solo stuff, all still on pretty constant rotation even 40+ years after release!Ā  My wife bought me CAS for Xmas on vinyl a coupla years back, cos she hadn't seen it in my collection!Ā  Played it once and vowed never again!!

Thanks to my Dad's vinyl/tape collection, Genesis was among the first music I discovered - he had Nursery Cryme on vinyl and a tape of Selling England by the Pound (in a very distintive khaki green cassette casing!).Ā  The first post PG track I remember hearing is "That's All" - I vaguely recall it was on a freebie compilation tape that I had to eat a lot of something to get tokens to send away for and receive in the post - isn't that something which has died the death these days?Ā  Do you still get toys in breakfast cereals?Ā  Oh no, my brain's nostalgia centre has just gone into overdrive!

• Like 1

Tom Bukovac is one of the top Nashville based session guitarists in the world. Currently playing live with Heart so into Rock and Country Rock big time. But during lockdown his passion was playing in his garage. Here he is with his soon to be ex wife Sarah Buxton (look her up) doing Ripples. It's magical. (If you search his vids, he also does More Fool Me and Your Own Special Way. (ps - Trick of the Tail is my favourite Genesis Album)

Ripples

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by merello
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, merello said:

his soon to be ex wife Sarah Buxton (look her up)Ā 

It's quite far away, and I gather she doesn't want us turning up one by one, so I propose we take a bus and look her up together - after a proper appointment has been made.
I think we should bring the cookies and coffee ourselves, seeing as we're quite many.

• Haha 2

Genesis are one of my 3 or 4 favourite bands. I love both the Phil and PG eras. I discovered Genesis via Follow You and ATTWT in ā€˜78, then bought Seconds Out and worked my way gradually backwards, so the problems many have with the Phil era, them having heard PG first, donā€™t exist for me. If anything it was a little jarring the first time I heard PG!

Ā 

My favourite studio albums remain the relatively unloved ATTWT - which I absolutely love, one of my all-time favourite albums - and TOTT. The much-loved W&W I like, but not as much; same with Duke. Seconds Out is my favourite Genesis album (in fact my favourite live album ever, along with Space Ritual). The PG-era stuff is mostly great, but I do feel the playing and production isnā€™t as good as on later albums. The Seconds Out version of Supperā€™s Ready blows the Foxtrot version (as good as that is) away IMO. But either way, I love them; they mean the world to me.Ā 

• Like 1

Duke's pretty good with a small handful of clunkers - seek out the 1980 Lyceum show for the Duke Suite in it's intended form end to end (Behind the Lines/Duchess/Guide Vocal/Turn It On Again/Duke's Travels/Duke's End)

Ā