Why become a member? ×

Multiple Pedal Synth Sounds

stewblack

I've been playing with multiple synth options and found the best way to produce what I was looking for (for a specific sound) was on the MS60B.

Coincidentally I wanted a lovely round subby sound for a couple of songs and the MS60B again came up trumps.

I always liked the Zoom pedals but thought somehow more expensive, dedicated pedals had to be better.

Many hundreds of pounds and of hours of practice later and I have to accept this simply isn't true.

• Like 1

On 11/08/2022 at 19:34, Bassmidget209 said:

It is really handy I have to say but it's a bit of a double edged sword. I LOVE the versitlity to size ratio but I find it frustrating to adjust or mess with on the fly. I honestly think it's one of those pedals most bassists should have at some point (other one being a sansamp/insert your di-preamp here). I mainly use the zoom for modulation so I am on the lookout for an appropriate multimodulator, not sure I'm gonna find a better one though. I also don't want to spend more that like a tenner which is probably the greater limiting factor here 🤣🤣

Most of the modulation effect models in those Zoom units are genuinely great, the emulation of the legendary Boss CE-1 chorus being no exception.

A Zoom MS-70CDR though would allow for using up to 6 effects per patch, versus the just 4 of the MS-60B.

Also I strongly recommend getting the unofficial 3rd party "Zoom Effect Manager" firmware hack program that allows you to pick between all those same generation Zoom digital effect models from a list and load any combination you might desire into your Zoom unit (works for Zoom G1(X)on, Zoom B1(X)on, MS-50G, MS-60B and MS-70CDR).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

47 minutes ago, stewblack said:

That's a good solution. Unless you can't play keys. Or own a synth! 😂

My keyboard skills are very rudimentary, but after my motorcycle accident (last 2015) I was unable to play a real bass for more than 5-10 minutes and used a synth to cover the time it took for my right hand to recover.

I currently have three Behringer synths, a Neutron (plus a keyboard), an Odyssey, and a 2600. I bought them to use at home but one of my bands is already asking me to bring them to gigs.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/08/2022 at 16:35, Greg Edwards69 said:

He's a little over-enthusiastic to watch for me, but Ian Allison's synth run down video is super helpful for building synth sounds with stomps

I was about to buy a cheap synth pedal until I watched this and managed to get 4 reasonable patches on my Gt1b.

• Like 1

On 12/08/2022 at 16:35, Greg Edwards69 said:

He's a little over-enthusiastic to watch for me, but Ian Allison's synth run down video is super helpful for building synth sounds with stomps

The only questionable choice there for me use the use of a bandpass filter; a lowpass filter is generally a much better choice for bass sounds.