Why become a member? ×

NPD - the cheapest chorus pedal in the world

Rich

My son is dabbling with guitar -- I know, I tried, but he was seduced by the dark side -- he's only just started really and has a fuzzbox but nothing else, so when I saw this tiny 1590A-sized thing I thought it would be ideal for him. It was £10 brand new on Amazon. No that's not a typo, it was ten quid.

I have yet to try it out, it might sound terrible for all I know. I will report back.

1258595956_Untitled(2).jpg.9d3b70e9aadafe114983075da171a6f4.jpg

• Like 1

How on earth do they put things like this out and make any sort of money?!  Surely they'd have to sell at massive volume for any sort of return... not that this matters to you of course! 😁  Congrats on what is hopefully bargain of the century, I hope it sounds great... but even if it doesn't, 10 quid!

They have a bunch of different ones, all for a tenner and post free too. Mostly distortion/overdrive.

Black is 'Ultimate Drive', red is 'Classic Chorus', green 'Vintage Overdrive', pink 'Pocket Metal', purple 'US Dream' (?), darker red 'Crunch Distortion' and yellow is 'Tremolo'.

image.thumb.png.97cdf74cc997ffae6aa259a6f91a5b08.png

27 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

No Phaser... 🙁

It does exist, along with an "analog" delay*, fuzz, compressor, flanger, and another distortion - just not on Amazon UK. £16 on ebay
There also are Horse versions of the various Joyo American/British/... Sound pedals; they're smaller AND have the power socket in a better position 👍

* Which is likely a digital-with-modulated-repeats delay

Edited by MartinB

I got the classic chorus today. Seems great for a tenner (+ p&p). I don't have a lot of experience with effects and play through a cheap HB amp, but it my daughter recognised "Come As You Are" and it sounds great for Banshees style 80s indie and goth stuff.

I'm pretty sure the green 'vintage overdrive' one will be a tube screamer clone, but I'm not so sure about the black 'ultimate overdrive.' I might consider getting one of these instead of a mosky 'black rat' if I can find confirmation that it is a Rat clone.

This chap who posted this review seems to be pleased with his pink pocket metal pedal, but he issues a valuable warning about the rough edges of the aluminium housing.

screenshot-892.thumb.png.c4f835a22c65fa726855b71c43449d11.png

• Haha 6

18 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I'm pretty sure the green 'vintage overdrive' one will be a tube screamer clone, but I'm not so sure about the black 'ultimate overdrive.' I might consider getting one of these instead of a mosky 'black rat' if I can find confirmation that it is a Rat clone.

This chap who posted this review seems to be pleased with his pink pocket metal pedal, but he issues a valuable warning about the rough edges of the aluminium housing.

Without knowing I would think the Ultimate Overdrive being an OCD clone, borrowing the name after Joyo's OCD clone, the Ultimate Drive.

The Low/High switch on the pedal seems to confirm this assumption, since this match the switch you'd normally find an OCD based pedal, including the original, and not the Vintage/Turbo or Classic/Turbo you'd normally see on RAT clones, as well as the Tone control on RAT variants usually will be called Filter, from the original RAT, and this is just called Tone, as it would on an OCD drive.

The Pocket Metal I am pretty sure being an EHX Pocket Metal Muff clone, which the single Mid "Tone"/EQ control knob seems to confirm.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I wonder how he found that out?

17 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

23 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

I wish I'd read this before... you know... I mean, who'd have thought? 😀

It's health and safety gone mad! 😡