Why become a member? ×

I just discovered Joni Mitchell. With Jaco.

bubinga5

I was about 12 when Joni Mitchell's Mingus came out, and already learning the bass.  That album took me via Jaco to Weather Report and Metheny and Herbie, and via Mingus himself to all sorts of other jazz that might have seemed musty and fusty (although all roads lead to Miles!).  It opened doors which at 12 would have felt impenetrable.  I'll always have a soft spot for it.  In my personal musical history, it might even be the most important record I ever heard.

I still listen to it regularly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Piers_Williamson said:

One of my favourite albums of all time is Shadows and Light.  It also made me a life long fan of Pat Methingy and Lyle Mays (the latter now sadly RIP)

Same here. 

I never tire of listening to either, especially Lyle Mays.

Very envious of you hearing Joni for the first time.  Her work is flawless.  While my favourite period is definitely the 70s - from Ladies to Hejira - she also has some amazing stuff from the late 80s and 90s (Taming the Tiger etc)  Enjoy!

• Like 3

I can still remember the day I bought Shadows and Light and brought it home and played it. I had heard Weather Report and some of Jaco's solo stuff, but this made much more sense to me. Within the context of Joni Mitchell's songs I could really appreciate Jaco's genius for the first time.

To this day, Jaco's work with Joni is a benchmark I judge other bass players by.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Tradfusion said:

They broke the mold with Joni... heres a clip of her performing Hejira live with a fantastic band including the one and only Pino on fretless... 

Oh how amazing!  I didn't know that existed, thank you!

• Like 1

Shame the DVD of 'Shadows and Light' doesn't show Jaco much but it's still a great watch, along with Hejira it's one of my favourite listening pleasures. Pat Matheny's Bright Size Life LP is another good one to check out.

Before this becomes a full Joni love-in, I can't be doing with her at all. 😜

Too much singing and absolutely no funk. All beautifully played, and completely bland, no musical interest at all for me.

And I have spent lots of time being forced to listen to many of her offerings ("Oh you'll love this one" "Nope". "But the lyrics are so deep!" "Well so's Krubera Cave but I have no intention of going down there!" etc)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Before this becomes a full Joni love-in, I can't be doing with her at all. 😜

Too much singing and absolutely no funk. All beautifully played, and completely bland, no musical interest at all for me.

And I have spent lots of time being forced to listen to many of her offerings ("Oh you'll love this one" "Nope". "But the lyrics are so deep!" "Well so's Krubera Cave but I have no intention of going down there!" etc)

This explains much of our musical relationship. -_-

Twerp. :on_the_quiet:

• Haha 1

You can say whatever. But Joni found a musician that could figure out what note to play on a four stringed electric instrument tuned an octave lower than a guitar. 

Before Jaco, Joni didn't know what to tell the bassist. "What chord is it? What's the root?"  

Joni: "You're the musician, that's what I'm paying you for."

• Like 3