Why become a member? ×

Boosting signal from an EUB

Grahambythesea

My PA man says the signal from my NS NXT EUB is weak, so I have been putting it through my Behringer V-Amp processor, but that’s a large bit of kit and has lots of things in it which I’d only use with my bass guitars. Can any one recommend a reasonably priced small pre-amp or booster pedal which might do the trick? 

On 02/08/2022 at 23:08, Grahambythesea said:

My PA man says the signal from my NS NXT EUB is weak, so I have been putting it through my Behringer V-Amp processor, but that’s a large bit of kit and has lots of things in it which I’d only use with my bass guitars. Can any one recommend a reasonably priced small pre-amp or booster pedal which might do the trick? 

Are you using the active circuit?  Fully charged?

12 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Are you using the active circuit?  Fully charged?

Think it's the NXTa that has active circuitry. The NXT is passive so will either need a preamp like the excellent Fishman Platinum, or an ultra-high impedance socket on the mixing desk.

• Like 1

The new-er Fishman Platinum Pro pedal - the square one - is the dogs dangly’s for this. Has a trim pot on the side to raise/ lower the in-coming signal - with an LED to give you a clear too much/too little visual indication of your level. Also has a tuner, compressor, 4 band eq and a separate boost function that’s foot-switchable. 

3 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

If you're looking for something inexpensive, try a Behringer ADI-21 acoustic amp modeller. I used to use one with a Dean pace EUB. It has a very good sounding EQ & can work as a DI box.

These seem very reasonable at under £40. I’ve been satisfied with my Behringer Vamp, so have you tried it with acoustic guitars as I have 3 of those?

yes - i originally bought my first one to sweeten the tone of my washburn electro acoustic guitar which is probably what it is designed for. When i tried it with the dean pace it was a perfect addition as the pace doesn’t have any eq built in. I made the mistake of demoing it to the chap who came to buy the pace and he liked it so much he insisted that I throw in the pedal with the bass. I then had to buy another as a replacement.

On 16/08/2022 at 15:31, Grahambythesea said:

Just to say the Behringer does the trick perfectly. Signal much enhanced and I think the tone is improved too. Thanks for the tip @Jean-Luc Pickguard I got it at a cracking price from Gear4music.

I used to use one with electric bass as it had the mid controls that the BDI 21 doesn't have. 

You can get some real mid punch from it that cuts through a loud mix nicely.