Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass - drop in signal strength

Heathy

Hi All

A few months ago I purchased an American Jazz Bass 5-string. It's great apart from there being a notable drop in volume when both volume pots are full on. I have had a number of jazz basses in the past and this has never been an issue.

I recently put in a new wiring loom with a VBT configuration (personal preference), but the issue is still the same with the balance pot in the centre notch. Any movement to either side and the signal strength returns.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Cheers

I thought this was common on VVT Jazz basses, both pickups on full you get a slightly mid scooped sound with what is, or which sounds like, slightly less volume.

Pretty sure I've read on here or similar forums that some players think this scooped sound is a desirable feature of a Jazz bass.

Suppose it depends on how you define 'notable', if the volume is dropping like a car off a cliff then something else is er... wrong 😀

Also with my Jazz you would probably only notice at gig volume 

• Like 2

I've played a jazz bass almost solely for years. Any single coils wired in parallel will have a slight 'drop' well turned up full, but for me it's more of a 'difference' in tone than a notable drop in volume, especially when compared to the bridge pickup. If it's really tiny then I'd say it's the nature of the bass but if it's really perceivable then I'd say it's something that isn't quite right, especially as it came from the factory doing it. Do you have single coils or their noiseless pickups? Maybe one of them has an issue. Installing a blend pot might make the overall output slightly quieter but again wouldn't present the issue you describe still happening. Being as you've changed all of those pots then the only thing it can still be is the pickups or an earth issue.

• Like 1