Why become a member? ×

His Bruceness Speaks!

stewblack

I first discovered Bruce Thomas when he was in Quiver and they joined together with the Sutherland Brothers. A very melodic player, both live and in the studio. It was no surprise to me that he did so well, even if I didn't think EC was up to much, personally.

Thanks for sharing @stewblack

4 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Good article.

Anyone got any idea why there is some kind of rift between Elvis and Bruce in later years? The interview didn't cover it (although I think their is a part two)

Bruce wrote a book called The Big Wheel which was apparently a thinly veiled story about his time in The Attractions and wasn’t complimentary about the the EC character. Whether this was pre or post rift, I don’t know.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oldslapper said:

I dont give a monkeys bout postrafees 😝😝

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Monkeys Bout Postrafees

My new free jazz outfit, there.

For reason's best known to himself's, Dads alway's had a bee in his bonnet when it come's to apostrophe's.

Ooh look, bee's!

image.png.cb0afc67c4f60df14224461290c602e6.png

Edited by Rich
more apostrophe's needed
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

Good article.

Anyone got any idea why there is some kind of rift between Elvis and Bruce in later years? The interview didn't cover it (although I think their is a part two)

Bruce was the one who stood up to him as far as I can gather. Elvis also took umbrage with the Big Wheel which was, I believe, the breaking point.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for posting stewblack....... fascinating stuff

Bit confused by our Brucie at this point in the interview.......

"I figured it out by the seat of my pants. So for a long time, my career was only ‘riff-based’ pentatonic scales. I had a kind of epiphany where I realized that if you play ‘four frets and three frets’ that’s a major, you play ‘three frets and four frets’ that’s a minor, then ‘three frets and three frets’ that’s a diminished, and ‘four frets and four frets’ that’s an augmented."

Know how major, minor, diminshed etc. scales and chords are constructed but I just don't get what Bruce is saying?

Help me reach my epiphany !

No jokes about Epiphones purleeeeez 🤪

7 hours ago, blisters on my fingers said:

Know how major, minor, diminshed etc. scales and chords are constructed but I just don't get what Bruce is saying?

Sitting here with a morning cup of tea staring at my fretboard for ten minutes and I really can't fathom Bruce's word puzzle at all 😳

How we get from there to the bass perfection of 'Pump It Up' will forever be a mystery, apparently .................

• Like 1

9 hours ago, blisters on my fingers said:

Thanks for posting stewblack....... fascinating stuff

Bit confused by our Brucie at this point in the interview.......

"I figured it out by the seat of my pants. So for a long time, my career was only ‘riff-based’ pentatonic scales. I had a kind of epiphany where I realized that if you play ‘four frets and three frets’ that’s a major, you play ‘three frets and four frets’ that’s a minor, then ‘three frets and three frets’ that’s a diminished, and ‘four frets and four frets’ that’s an augmented."

Help me reach my epiphany !

No jokes about Epiphones purleeeeez 🤪

I suspect he's not being specific. Just outlining the way he learned by recognising patterns on the fretboard.

• Like 2

I've mentioned this before in the forum, but this seems an appropriate place to repeat it. When Bruce had his salmon pink P bass stolen, he asked Barry Moorhouse of The Bass Centre to source him another vintage P, which he did. However, BT never gelled with it and sold it back to Barry. I bought that bass (a white, '63 P that was road worn within an inch of its life; sounded great though) and had it for a number of years.

P1.jpeg

P2.jpeg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I've mentioned this before in the forum, but this seems an appropriate place to repeat it. When Bruce had his salmon pink P bass stolen, he asked Barry Moorhouse of The Bass Centre to source him another vintage P, which he did. However, BT never gelled with it and sold it back to Barry. I bought that bass (a white, '63 P that was road worn within an inch of its life; sounded great though) and had it for a number of years.

P1.jpeg

P2.jpeg

Oh wow! Precious beyond words