Why become a member? ×

Fender vs Shuker...help me decide

Kurt

There's not too much for me to write here. I'm going to treat myself to a new Jazz bass in a few weeks, once a cheque from my solicitors hits the mat. In the mean time I've been window shopping and hanging out here and at TB (although I like it much better here hence the post!) So here's the thing-I've owned an S1 Jazz which I really liked and wish I'd never sold. I'm leaning towards an 09 Fender but I'm going to have to buy mail order and I am aware of the potential problems this leaves me open to in terms of getting a lemon. However Out To Play Jazz on this forum has a beautiful 'burst/maple which looks so good (even though I usually prefer rosewood boards for aesthetic reasons).

I know some of you guys are enthusiastic about Jon Shukers' products, and I realise that he could make me pretty much anything I want, but I'm an impatient sort of chap and once I've paid for something I want it straight away, which limits me to something he has in stock. So I found this...

[url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/stock.htm"]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/stock.htm[/url]

...it's the one right at the bottom-'burst/maple, villex passive pups. Seems almost too good to be true, especially the price.

So, what would you buy, Fender or Shuker and why?

I'd buy the Shuker - in fact I already have !
Sorry Kurt, Jon hasn't updated his site and I actually bought this bass about 6 weeks ago. I know it's no consolation but it's the best jazz I've ever played - blows any new Fender out of the water IMHO. The blue and white Jazz's were still in stock last time I was down there so if you can't wait I wouldn't hesitate to invest !

Ed.

If you're planning to visit Jon's workshop, I'm only about an hour east from there. You're welcome to come and try mine if you're in the area.

I only finally plumped for the Fender over the Sadowsky in the end because the new style Fender has all the things I wanted, like glossed fingerboard & through-body stringing. I also already have an outboard Sadowsky preamp.

The other thing I'd be thinking about is that you're comparing a mass produced bass to a custom hand made boutique bass.

Rich.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

Fender: Pros and cons; does what it says on the tin and you know what it'll be worth should you want to get rid. Not the highest quality, mass produced (unless CS)

Shuker: Pros and cons; built to your spec (so should suit you), excellent quality. Because it's bespoke it might not appeal to as many people should you wish to sell it.

If it is a straight shoot out between a stock Fender USA model and a Shuker on a blind sale then I'd go Shuker every time.
Also with Mr. Shuker you only need to put a deposit down to have one built, with the balance due on completion.

Cheers,
JTB

I would be very wary of buying a Fender blind. I've done it and got an exceptionally good one BOTOH I've bought one I played in a shop which has later developed problems so I think it's purely down to luck.

I'm impatient like you, if I've paid for something I want it in my hands but if you're not getting the money for a few weeks how about phoning Mr Shuker and seeing if He'll accept a deposit with the balance to be paid when you pick it up.

If I was in your position I'd go for the Shuker because you'll get exactly what you want, built to a higher standard than Fender and the most important thing (for me anyway) is that it's UK made therefore helping our trade deficit a little bit :)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='464710' date='Apr 17 2009, 09:40 AM']....If I was buying blind, I'd buy a Lakland Darryl Jones / Joe Osborn depending on what sound you're after....[/quote]
+1000 Laklands regularly come up here.

I think that a shuker will undoubtedly be an amazing bass, however, for some people there is a bit of magic about the Fender brand that just can't be created elsewhere. I'm a BIG Fender fan, but you need to get the right instrument of course!

EDIT: When I was still looking for a Jazz bass recently, I trawled around a lot of forums looking for info, and the general concensus seemed to be that the 09 Fender basses were very good indeed eg much better on quality control than they have sometimes been in the past.

and don't forget that with Thomann you can sent it back if you get a turkey.

Edited by Golchen

[quote name='edstraker123' post='464645' date='Apr 17 2009, 07:39 AM']I'd buy the Shuker - in fact I already have !
Sorry Kurt, Jon hasn't updated his site and I actually bought this bass about 6 weeks ago. I know it's no consolation but it's the best jazz I've ever played - blows any new Fender out of the water IMHO. The blue and white Jazz's were still in stock last time I was down there so if you can't wait I wouldn't hesitate to invest !

Ed.[/quote]

Damn, I've been looking at that for a while too. I'm glad it's doing it for you, it's a super looking bass.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='464710' date='Apr 17 2009, 09:40 AM']If I was buying blind, I'd buy a Lakland Darryl Jones / Joe Osborn depending on what sound you're after.[/quote]

Leo Lyons (Ten Years After) recommended me a Skyline JO. He reckons it's the best bass he's ever owned with the exception of some of his vintage gear.

However I think I'm going to go with a Shuker passive jazz of some description, definately Sunburst, probably with a rosewood board, and passive, maybe Delanos. Have to put my thinking cap on.

Cheers everybody!!!

Peace

Kurt

[quote name='edstraker123' post='464645' date='Apr 17 2009, 07:39 AM']I'd buy the Shuker - in fact I already have !
Sorry Kurt, Jon hasn't updated his site and I actually bought this bass about 6 weeks ago.[/quote]

That's a bit bad really. He should really keep the web site up to date. I know that it's not the biggest priority for him but you shouldn't advertise stuff that's not for sale.

No contest for me. I'm over in the States at the moment and have visited Guitar Center and Sam Ash. Loads of Fenders as you'd expect, some of them lovely, some of them total rubbish.
So, with the inconsistency in mind I'd go for Shuker (or some such) every time.

*The fact that I own a Shuker has no bearing on my opinion at all.......no really! :)

Pete

have you considered one of the shuker courses? for £950 you can do a 1-2-1 course with john, and make something to your own specifications. you won't have to wait too long for the 1-2-1 course, because you only have to find a week thats good for you and john. or for £650 you can build a jazz or precision on the 5 person course, but obviously you'll have to wait longer because its a set week. they're both in your budget, and (the 1-2-1 course at least) they're absolutely brilliant courses. there have been a few members on here, me, york5stringer, and jono are the ones i know of, that have done the course, and all of us loved it.

by the way, i did the course over a year ago now, and john's moved, too, so things might have changed since then, but that was the prices back then. i'm sure it'll still be an amazing week though.