Why become a member? ×

NBD - Shocking stuff from PMT, pre dinged and missing backplate

lemmywinks

3 hours ago, Musicman666 said:

These aren't cheap items, why the hell are they sending them out like this?

....perhaps it was the wrong time of the month?

Unsure what you mean, perhaps you'd like to explain in more detail? It was presumably posted Friday 29th or Saturday 30th of July, are those bad days to order gear?

2 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

There's already been threads on the Musicman basses and Ashdown amps/cabs they've been selling off at huge discounts with limited stock - brand new Rootmaster 6x10 cab for £124 (usually £849) and the Shavo signature head for £314 (usually £825) for example. Half price or less on the Ashdown pedals as well.

The shavo head has been around for years, I have played through it (sounded good), still quite tempting if I was any good at painting front panels!

PMT dealing with it quite well so far, if the bass is working ok I'll decide what to do with it from there. Apparently an old bass that had been knocking around a shop floor for a bit.

Yeh, clearly, its a december 2019 bass, and they have been out of stock a couple of times in that time.

However, if it is a showroom bass, you think they would notice the lack of back panel. The dents maybe they could get away with - the body is really soft and does dent easily.

4 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Unsure what you mean, perhaps you'd like to explain in more detail? It was presumably posted Friday 29th or Saturday 30th of July, are those bad days to order gear?

They are terrible days to order, it is just after pay day so noone is concentrating!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

I'm pretty sure "wrong time of the month" was a droll reference to the retailer's name ;).

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

The shavo head has been around for years, I have played through it (sounded good), still quite tempting if I was any good at painting front panels!

Yeh, clearly, its a december 2019 bass, and they have been out of stock a couple of times in that time.

However, if it is a showroom bass, you think they would notice the lack of back panel. The dents maybe they could get away with - the body is really soft and does dent easily.

They are terrible days to order, it is just after pay day so noone is concentrating!

Yeah I noticed it was an old bass which is why I thought it might have been used, all the straplocks/ramp/tools etc inside were sealed up, the bag is new and the bass till had it's thread for the hanging tag attached though so most likely an ex-demo that had got a few knocks along the way. There's a few other little bumps which are just depressions in the wood, not affecting the paint. I knew beforehand that these were ding-prone basses so fully expected it to have these withing a month, just not out of the box!

The Cort B5 I had (the OPM one) marked up witin a week and ended up with a gouge where I usually rest my thumb.

I remember you having one of these, did the mid freq have a centre detent or not?

Btw just weighted it on the work scales - 3.15kg or 6.9 lb. Should be quite different to my 11.6lb Sire!

Edited by lemmywinks

4 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

It was heavily discounted (£767 in the Summer sale) but listed as new with a single stock picture.

If advertised as ex-demo and pics of damage shown, the price would be pretty decent here. I think you paid about the same or even a little less than a 2nd hand one would be with the same damage. 

Stick with it it if you can get the parts replaced (which I fully expect), i've got one 2nd hand recently and it's really enamouring me so far.

image.png.ee5a6d2d1b3bc60fd0873353244c94b7.png

Edited by Machines
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

There's a few other little bumps which are just depressions in the wood, not affecting the paint. I knew beforehand that these were ding-prone basses so fully expected it to have these withing a month, just not out of the box!

I think by default there are depressions in the wood in a couple of places, maybe they happen at the factory, not really an issue, although nothing that is above the paint.

Mine was bump free when I got it.. for a few days, when I dropped a large metal hard drive on it and put a dent in 😢 - to be fair, I think it helped as I have never been precious about it since!

31 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

I remember you having one of these, did the mid freq have a centre detent or not?

The Mid frequency boost / cut has a detent, but the frequency itself doesn't - Its handy for me, as I have a shuker which has the same stacked bass / treble - mid / gain control but the knobs are in a different order - I always spin the control before I start to remind myself which is which - if it has a detent it is bas / treble!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Machines said:

If advertised as ex-demo and pics of damage shown, the price would be pretty decent here. I think you paid about the same or even a little less than a 2nd hand one would be with the same damage. 

Stick with it it if you can get the parts replaced (which I fully expect), i've got one 2nd hand recently and it's really enamouring me so far.

image.png.ee5a6d2d1b3bc60fd0873353244c94b7.png

The price was definitely the deciding factor and they have offered further discount if I decide to keep it, they are going for more than that used at the moment. Loving the neck so far, like a sleeker version of a Warwick and much nicer than my old Ibby EDB505.

42 minutes ago, simisker said:

I'm pretty sure "wrong time of the month" was a droll reference to the retailer's name ;).

Yes, I got it, just wondered if I was alone in thinking that sort of comment was unnecessary and offensive and as a collective, we are a bit better than that?🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I think by default there are depressions in the wood in a couple of places, maybe they happen at the factory, not really an issue, although nothing that is above the paint.

Mine was bump free when I got it.. for a few days, when I dropped a large metal hard drive on it and put a dent in 😢 - to be fair, I think it helped as I have never been precious about it since!

The Mid frequency boost / cut has a detent, but the frequency itself doesn't - Its handy for me, as I have a shuker which has the same stacked bass / treble - mid / gain control but the knobs are in a different order - I always spin the control before I start to remind myself which is which - if it has a detent it is bas / treble!

That's good to know thanks, I have 2 basses with mid freq controls and they both have centre detents.

I think it's fair to post now and hear and update as they resolve it.  For me, it doesn't matter if they do resolve it, its certainly put the thought in my head that ordering from PMT may end up with a load of hassle.  Dings etc you can argue happen in transit, but a missing plate??  Sounds like a return that just wasn't checked before shipping out.  You'd expect that from Amazon, not a guitar store. 

Then again, i'd never buy a production bass without playing it first, given they can vary so much! So perhaps it hasn't really impacted on me, more just cemented my position on it xD

I always used to buy in person but, now I’ve moved out to the boondocks, it’s an upwards of three hours journey to the nearest outlet. On top of the time, there’s fuel and parking to be considered. When these items are free delivery, those of us without a retailer/seller ‘down the road’ would be daft not to order right off the website, especially when distance selling rules apply.

Good to hear that PMT have sent out the cover, leaving that off was shoddy, as was neglecting to give an accurate description of the bass. However, some of the rougher finished areas, particularly around the controls, looks very much down to Ibanez and their distributor. I had an SR1605 that had some awful finishing and they were (allegedly) horrified that the bass has been released into general circulation and replaced it with no fuss. The bumps and dings on the OPs bass do potentially look like previous owner/shop damage though.

I find some of the responses in this thread a bit depressing (not to mention predictable).  One transaction has gone wrong (admittedly, in spectacular fashion) and it's being sorted out within hours.  Nothing to see here, if anything I find it highly reassuring that the retailer is on the case so quickly and it looks like a mutually agreeable solution is forming, if it has not already taken shape.  As a serial moron/someone who orders instruments online at distance, I find it absolutely normal.  I bought a bass once from G4M - the fingerboard was coming away from the rest of the neck at the nut.  Back it went, got a refund, no dramas.  I had two goes to try to order a Gibson Grabber 3 70s Tribute bass a few years back but both had issues which I found unacceptable, so back they went too.  So drama free, I can't even remember which retailer it was.

Even if I did decide it wasn't for me and sent it back via distance selling regs, all I'm out is the postage - and that's cheaper than a visit to the nearest retailers with decent selection (Glasgow).  I get to try it with my own amp, in my own environment - hell, I could even take it to a band rehearsal and try it there before deciding - can't do that in a shop.

I know I'm not going to change anyone's minds here who are dyed in the wool, "must buy in person" types, but I just wanted to present an alternative point of view because at the moment, it's all looking a bit doom and gloom.  You will not be cast into the fires of hell for buying a bass online without trying it first.  I've done it many times, and I'm not even smouldering yet.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I find some of the responses in this thread a bit depressing (not to mention predictable).  One transaction has gone wrong (admittedly, in spectacular fashion) and it's being sorted out within hours.  Nothing to see here, if anything I find it highly reassuring that the retailer is on the case so quickly and it looks like a mutually agreeable solution is forming, if it has not already taken shape.  As a serial moron/someone who orders instruments online at distance, I find it absolutely normal.  I bought a bass once from G4M - the fingerboard was coming away from the rest of the neck at the nut.  Back it went, got a refund, no dramas.  I had two goes to try to order a Gibson Grabber 3 70s Tribute bass a few years back but both had issues which I found unacceptable, so back they went too.  So drama free, I can't even remember which retailer it was.

Even if I did decide it wasn't for me and sent it back via distance selling regs, all I'm out is the postage - and that's cheaper than a visit to the nearest retailers with decent selection (Glasgow).  I get to try it with my own amp, in my own environment - hell, I could even take it to a band rehearsal and try it there before deciding - can't do that in a shop.

I know I'm not going to change anyone's minds here who are dyed in the wool, "must buy in person" types, but I just wanted to present an alternative point of view because at the moment, it's all looking a bit doom and gloom.  You will not be cast into the fires of hell for buying a bass online without trying it first.  I've done it many times, and I'm not even smouldering yet.

I’ve bought 2 custom basses, sight unseen - you don’t have much choice when ordering those. :D 

• Like 2

I don't recall asking for your opinion. Also "not classy" FFS, what made you type that? 🤣

Well, you didn't ask for my opinion either, but as it's a forum and you've posted the thread, I'm entitled to have one.

The way the thread reads (although I note you've edited it, so I don't know what it said originally) is that you've quite rightly taken issue with the condition of the bass and then rung them.

I for one would have made the call first and included that in your first post. Right to reply and all that.

I know he's a bit more thick skinned than most of us, but I think you were a bit harsh or @wateroftyne.

Calling out a Moderator on a forum he helps run for you is also not classy.

• Like 6

Almost all the basses I have bought have been sight unseen, and I have used PMT loads of times (as well as loads of others). You get the occasional hassle here and there, but nothing that was never sorted, and as irritating as things can be at the time, you get over it pretty fast.

Maybe if you live in a big city, going to a shop is an option, or if you have enough time to travel somewhere, for me it isn't, I can buy it online or not get it.

When I think about the basses I currently have, none of them was bought in person, i have a few guitars that were.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Someone's mod status is irrelevant if they are posting their opinions about something. When I was admin I would want to be challenged and not expect my 'badge' to stop people doing so if they disagree with me.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Well, you didn't ask for my opinion either, but as it's a forum and you've posted the thread, I'm entitled to have one.

The way the thread reads (although I note you've edited it, so I don't know what it said originally) is that you've quite rightly taken issue with the condition of the bass and then rung them.

I for one would have made the call first and included that in your first post. Right to reply and all that.

I know he's a bit more thick skinned than most of us, but I think you were a bit harsh or @wateroftyne.

Mods on this very forum have a history of locking threads because an argument isn't going their way. How can you respect someone in a position of 'power' if that's their MO? 

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Probably would mean more to me if I had any idea who that was!

Gosh! You young ‘uns (old man shouts at clouds meme here). That is Peter Noone of Herman’s Hermits. 

Edited by ezbass
  • Thanks 1

It happened to me yesterday.😒

I bought the "cheap" Ashdown Shavo head from PMT. It was not listed as X demo, customer return or B stock. I was expecting a new amp at a clearance price.

The amp came wrapped in bubble wrap and put in a non original box. It had  scratches all over the top plate and a broken EQ slider.

Matt at customer services ,( PMT ) has been fantastic and has admitted that it should of been listed correctly or not sold in that condition. He is talking to Ashdown to get an EQ graphic replacement board so I can fit it.

Let's hope we can both resolve these problems from PMT.

DSC_0027.JPG

Edited by spyder
Spellin
  • Like 2