Why become a member? ×

NBD - Shocking stuff from PMT, pre dinged and missing backplate

lemmywinks

Ordered a brand new Ibanez EHB 1505 from PMT on Friday, just arrived now in this state:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q-ADkua8rm9LYMkqTJmf4lkv0JBPMRYc/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Pokb3v5CRYLCeLmSpoKXtgdJACdWBjb_/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PiNidaiBSQ0TJc_sWPREPRlMol1Af5kZ/view?usp=drivesdkPp

Possibly worst of all is that it's completely missing the backplate and parts of the preamp are hanging out of the cavity.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PjeLKlYfsGm3EBncOiUVV3Ax1eLM6Azh/view?usp=drivesdk

Obviously a used item or customer return that hasn't been checked. There's also insane fret buzz on every string all over the neck when tuned to pitch.

These aren't cheap items, why the hell are they sending them out like this?

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Sad 8

Just rang them and the guy sounded really disappointed tbh, sent them the pics through. There's a few other small dings and scratches which my cheap phone camera didn't pick up so well. Don't even know if the bass works yet as I'm at work.

Even more annoying is that I've already bought an as new Gator ProGo Deluxe guitar gigbag for this off eBay and also some of the Herculese NINA adapters so will have to sell those on if this gets returned. It was heavily discounted (£767 in the Summer sale) but listed as new with a single stock picture.

Speechless.  I have only trusted buying on line once and swore never to do it again. It's the best chance for sellers to offload the units people reject on sight. Don't have a problem with PMT in general. Always had great help from them and found my hallowed Precision there but stuff like this can really taint your impression of people. Regardless of the discount I would hold out for a like for like replacement. Wouldn't hurt them to show a little grace. Good luck.

The neck also has too much backbow so looks like someone's tried to adjust it, got impatient at the lack of instant movement (really stiff necks on these) and cranked it some more.

Not even bothered about small dings and setup if they offer some cash back as I can fix these myself, just how on earth does a new bass with an RRP of over a grand get sent out with no cavity cover?

I bought a Fender TV 15 Bassman from GAK about 12 years ago. It was reduced but didn't state on the website that it was B stock or a demonstrator. When it arrived it had signs of use and the tweed covering was pretty badly marked.

I kept it because they were only minor surface defects and the amp worked as it should. Some music shops have a record of not being totally honest as to why a product on their web site has been reduced, in the hope that people won't return items they're not 100% happy with, due to the hassle factor.

Edited by gjones

Don’t take this the wrong way, and it is of course ridiculous if you bought it as a new bass, but would it not be better to sort it out with PMT first rather than posting about it here? All shops mess up, but it’s not the mess up that’s the real issue - it’s how they deal with it that matters. From the photos it looks like the EHB1505MS, which in their site is listed new at £1,349, so £767 in a sale doesn’t add up. It’s nearly 50% off the retail price. Although totally wrong to list it as new, and even worse to send it out in that state, maybe update this thread for balance once/if you get it sorted?

Just now, FDC484950 said:

Don’t take this the wrong way, and it is of course ridiculous if you bought it as a new bass, but would it not be better to sort it out with PMT first rather than posting about it here? All shops mess up, but it’s not the mess up that’s the real issue - it’s how they deal with it that matters. From the photos it looks like the EHB1505MS, which in their site is listed new at £1,349, so £767 in a sale doesn’t add up. It’s nearly 50% off the retail price. Although totally wrong to list it as new, and even worse to send it out in that state, maybe update this thread for balance once/if you get it sorted?

I'm sorting it out with the shop and also posting about their responses on here in case they have other not as described items listed in the current sale that may catch people out. So far they seem to be dealing with it pretty well.

It's the non multiscale version so the retail was around £1100 (still cheaper than elsewhere but prices on these fluctuate), a lot of the instruments in their Summer Sale (which this was part of) had several hundred knocked off so although it's a substantial discount it isn't unheard of. There's already been threads on the Musicman basses and Ashdown amps/cabs they've been selling off at huge discounts with limited stock - brand new Rootmaster 6x10 cab for £124 (usually £849) and the Shavo signature head for £314 (usually £825) for example. Half price or less on the Ashdown pedals as well.

A few years ago I got a new Cort B5 via end of line clearance (before they brought the Markbass Lic preamps in) for £235 delivered, almost half the new price and it was rock solid with perfect build quality.

• Like 1

Just to mention - this isn't a thread asking how to deal with a situation so no silly comments, drama or advice is needed, it's just a warning that items in the current PMT sale might not be as described as it looks like they're clearing old stock with little to no inspection so buyer beware and make sure you give everything a proper test when you get it.

Edited by lemmywinks