Why become a member? ×

Bass training

nilorius

Hi! Wanted to know what You all think about the best way to train the playing skills on bass. Myself - I mostly train not connected at all, as my instrument Ibanez GWB1005 gives me a good acoustic sound. What do You prefer - not connected, amplified or headphone variant ?

Waza air bass has improved my practice time 3fold, with multimedia and just jamming with the drum patterns built in.

sound quality is excellent and when I get locked In with the headphones on I can tune out around me and just play. 
I do occasionally pick up a bass and play ‘raw’ but I’m soon reaching for the Waza.

Edited by Bunion

Preamps and audio sources into a mixer and then out to a pair of good headphones is my preferred setup. I favour rack mount so that everything is wired in and ready all the time. All I need to do is pick up a bass, plug in a cable, put on my headphones, flick two power switches and press play on the audio source.

Choose my Helix as the audio output (via USB) for my computer and I’m sorted. I can practice to drum grooves/backing tracks/songs played on my computer through headphones, my studio monitors, or my bass rig, by selecting the appropriate output on the Helix.

Small mixer with bass and laptop connected. Mostly headphones but sometimes monitors. Always connected up and ready to go but the main thing is, I've made it a nice and comfortable environment to be in. My roc'nsoc drum throne with a back rest has also made a big difference and well worth the money.

For 30+ years I’ve practiced unplugged and either working out my own lines, or playing along to the hi-fi on low volume.

Very rare that I plug into an amp to practice.

Bass isn’t my main instrument and I  don’t need everyone to hear my bad timing and constant mistakes. I save that for gigs 😂

• Haha 1

Either a small mixer to play along to whatever I'm learning and headphones (my neighbours are great but badly played phrases on the bass, over and over and over and.... you get it -  after 9pm would be testing their greatness too much) or through a Zoom B4 (with the track I'm working on on the Aux in and using headphones). If I need to audition a sound I'll use whatever set up I'm planning on gigging. If I need more volume I usually arrange to be at the rehearsal early for some 'me time'. 

Mainly I play without an amp for stamina and muscle memory stuff (noodling, scales and such.)...it's kind of like a comfort thing having my bass on my lap but that's not so much practice.
I can definitely hear the bass acoustically but I also hear myself getting sloppy in a way I don't tolerate while using an amp. 

More often I switch from using my amp, going straight into my PC and using a small VOX pocket amp...depends where I am at the time and what I'm trying to do, they all work well enough for me.

For running scales & arpeggios and general noodling it's a fretless Crafter acoustic that lives in the front room.

Sometimes before a gig I'll play along to a rehearsal recording and plug into a Laney 2x10 combo but invariably not with the bass I gig with - and usually one strung with flats rather than my gigging rounds.

I may need to have a look at this.

Bass > Tascam MP-BT1 loaded with mp3s of all the songs we do (in set order, plus a few random ones I'd like us to do!) > headphones.

Spend most of my practice time playing along with the mp3s, though I do also occasionally work on scales or noodle etc. without any backing tracks.

• Like 1

I like an amp for home practicing - it feels more like the real thing to me.

Laptop into decent hifi speakers for listening/playing along with.

A headphones option is a good thing to have - most decent practice/bedroom amps have aux in and headphone out now, I think?

When I'm writing I'll start off unplugged as it allows me to concentrate on the notes and my ability to play them properly. Also I can pick up the bass an start working instantly without needing to set up any additional equipment, plus I won't get distracted by trying out different sounds.

I'll only plug in one I've got to the point where I'm working on the arrangement and need to be able to hear the other instruments and the actual sounds I'll be using on the bass become important. Then I'll use a combination of Helix, DAW and monitoring on headphones.

I'll finally switch to speakers once the whole band are working on the song or general band rehearsal.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 1