Why become a member? ×

Twin channel amp recommendations.

bigthumb

My new band has quite a diverse set. Where a Precision bass with flats is ideal for some of the songs it won't be for the remainder, my active Roscoe takes care of the rest. I've tried a twin channel preamp but I've struggled with it and now pretty much forgotten about it. So I'm now considering what the options are for an amp with two separate and identical channels with 2 inputs. The EA Doubler springs to mind but I'm not sure how they are with electric bass as I believe they are made for double??? So, if the Doubler isn't suitable, what other options for a quality head are there? Cheers :)

Personally, I just stick my Radial Tone Bone in front of whatever amp I'm using. Set channel 1 to flat and plug your 'main' bass into that, use channel 2 with the full range of tone controls for your second bass. This also works great if you are doubling fretless and fretted or EUB & fretted. 

On 31/07/2022 at 22:03, JPJ said:

Personally, I just stick my Radial Tone Bone in front of whatever amp I'm using. Set channel 1 to flat and plug your 'main' bass into that, use channel 2 with the full range of tone controls for your second bass. This also works great if you are doubling fretless and fretted or EUB & fretted. 

I've tried the Tone Bone a few times and I've spent a lot of time fiddling with it but  just can't seem to get it right. I think it was with the precision that I had issues with no matter what channel I used. I'll dig it out and try again. 

Ideally I like to just use an amp which has the two channels with their own inputs EQ section, the GR as suggested by @Merton looks very impressive and fits the bill but sadly way out of my price range at the moment. 

3 hours ago, bigthumb said:

I've tried the Tone Bone a few times and I've spent a lot of time fiddling with it but  just can't seem to get it right. I think it was with the precision that I had issues with no matter what channel I used. I'll dig it out and try again. 

Ideally I like to just use an amp which has the two channels with their own inputs EQ section, the GR as suggested by @Merton looks very impressive and fits the bill but sadly way out of my price range at the moment. 

I know what you mean, it took me quite a while to dial mine in. At first I thought it was a bit ‘listless’ tone wise, but now my passive P goes in Channel 1 with preshape 2 engaged, and the fretless goes in Channel 2 for a healthy mid boost to bring out the mwah.

• Thanks 1

The Genzler Magellan is a great two-channel amp...the channels are Clean and Drive (footswitchable), and there's two/three (flat is bypass) switchable (and controllable) Contour preset, too...

Edited by Muzz