Why become a member? ×

Pls recommend a pre amp pedal

uk_lefty

I am pretty much decided I'm giving up on my Helix Stomp. I barely use 1% of its capability and most of what I want I'm buying extra pedals for anyway. So... I want to replace my essential effects. I think a preamp pedal is a necessity for shared backline gigs and in case the amp goes pop. I'm looking for something that does EQ and DI out as a minimum. Some compression and drive would be nice but not essential. What I've found on the past is that some that sound great for passive basses just don't work for actives. 

My gigging basses are a Jack Casady, Stingray and a Sire V9. I also have a passive fretless Kramer but it rarely comes out to play. So quite a range of sounds and styles I'd need catering for!

Ideally I want to buy second hand. 

Thanks 

I really like the combination of my Precision/Jazz/Stingray with my Ampeg SCR-DI into my Ashdown practice amp, they just all seem to work together really well. No compression but the Drive is both separate and blendable so does the tube-warmth feel quite nice. It’s a pedal that just seems to work with whatever bass I put through it. There’s one on here as well, at a very decent price. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GALLIEN-KRUEGER PLEX BASS PREAMP PEDAL
I just picked this up off the market place here.

I’ve been after one for awhile to try out and as a back up just in case. 
From what you’ve requested it ticks all the boxes. 
EQ, basic Sim, DI ( pre/post,) Drive, compression and an in built tuner. 
I’m really looking forward to trying it out when it arrives. 
it also acts as a recording interface with the USB and allows media playback for practice. 

88E985B9-D8A7-40CF-BADF-02AB2AC009D7.thumb.jpeg.ad158fbafcd11e2fd7786a111e2ef834.jpeg

• Like 4

On 31/07/2022 at 12:05, Bunion said:

it also acts as a recording interface with the USB and allows media playback for practice. 

88E985B9-D8A7-40CF-BADF-02AB2AC009D7.thumb.jpeg.ad158fbafcd11e2fd7786a111e2ef834.jpeg

I'd love one but they are pricey!

On 01/08/2022 at 13:12, paulo m said:

EBS Microbass II.... Very difficult to beat' & you can find them second hand for around £ 150.00... Read any reviews on this Super Versitile ' & Great Sounding Outboard  Pre Amp... 

This looks right up my street, thank you!

I use a TC Spectrodrive, which does all those things, straight into the pa. You can load it with different compression and drive patches, which is useful - especially for drive. The various patches range from downright fuzzy grind to a light boost, which is the one I use. Been using it for a couple of years now and I like it. 

41 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I'd love one but they are pricey!

They are indeed new, I picked mine up for £200 from here, although I will say you don’t see them very often on the used market, which says a lot for them 😄

• Like 1

I second what @skidder652003 said. I got a Digbeth Pre not too long ago and am quite happy with it.
Until a couple of months ago, for recording I used my GK MBSIII, that is a really good studio amp (nice preamp - I don't mic it and use its lineout), and even if it sounds different (more neutral tbh), the Digbeth holds the comparison.
The Laney pedal sounds really good, clean but with character. The EQ is quite musical and offers more options (4 bands with 3-way switch for the lo-mid) than other EQs on other preamps (even the pricey ones), the tube channel (emulation) sounds really good, and the FET (clean channel) sounds clear. Also, you get the "tilt" function, that is useful.
Connectivity is comprehensive, with the always welcome send/return too.

Edited by mario_buoninfante
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Behringer BDI21.

Can't be beaten on price, and not too dissimilar soundwise to the Sansamp.

I toyed with this... Mainly because part of the reasoning is that I want the sound of my amp 99% of the time so a preamp/ DI will either be cluttering a signal chain or adding/ cutting frequencies unnecessarily.

I'm in a quandary really. If I spent proper time with my Helix I could just get it to do most of what I need it to.... I just don't know if I can get the time to do that. 

• 3 months later...
On 31/07/2022 at 12:05, Bunion said:

How are you getting on with this? I've been looking at these as want to invest in a pre-amp. I've already recently acquired an excellent compressor. Do you think this pedal is worth the money for just pre-amp section as I probably would't use the compression?