Why become a member? ×

Lightweight bass amps

northstreet

I'm looking to replace my Hartke LH500 - I'm really happy with the tone and the volume but it's a heavy old beast and I'd prefer something more portable. Sticking with what works for me (and my TC Electronics 2x12 cab), I'm looking for 500W into 4 Ohms. Budget sub-£600 if poss. Had a quick look online but noticed (i) there aren't many amps that fit the bill, (ii) supply of those is quite limited, and (iii) none of my local shops have anything suitable. So I'm after canvassing some opinions on the options available, which seem to be: Fender Rumble, Ampeg PF-500 Portaflex, Orange Little Bass Thing, Markbass Little Mark and Hartke LX5500. The Hartke appeals on the basis that it could be a like-for-like swap, but I heard bad things about their previous Class D offering. But any views/thoughts/other suggestions would be appreciated.

The Orange LBT is a great amp and so are the Ashdown RM series 

Avoid the Ampeg PF range as they I believe still suffer from shutdown issues 

The GK Legacy range is nice ( Polar sell on EBay at low prices )

Edited by BassAdder27

From what I’ve read the LH has quite a thick warm (but clear) sound so I’ll recommend the Ashdown RM. Of all of the Class D amps I’ve had these have the weightiest sound to them.

I like the Markbass amps as well but prefer the eq options on the Ashdown, plus being UK based in the unlikely situation you have a problem you can send/take it there and they can sort it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, northstreet said:

Fender Rumble, Ampeg PF-500 Portaflex, Orange Little Bass Thing, Markbass Little Mark and Hartke LX5500

Purely my own opinion and experience, but I'd actually say there's something about the basic sound of the Fender Rumble (mine's a 500 v3 in the combo) that reminds me a bit of my old LH1000, whereas I found a Markbass Little Mark (2, 800 and 3) to be a better replacement for my HA5500. The lightweight Ashdown amps I've owned (Mi550 and RM800) didn't really remind me of either, nor did the Ampeg PF-800. All good amps, don't get me wrong, but they didn't make me think 'Hartke'. I've only ever seen lukewarm reviews of the actual lightweight Hartke amps, so probably wouldn't be headed that way on name alone - I'd want to try one myself. If I was going to offer up another amp that kinda reminded me of an LH I might actually go a bit leftfield and say the Mesa D800, but getting them seems to be tricky at present.

• Like 1

Bugera Veyron 1001T. Don't worry about the Wattage figures, they're more than loud enough with  a nice thick valve sound. If you want a more flexible EQ try the Mosfet version. I use mine regularly with Stray and I've never run out of volume - and we are not a quiet band. I think they're going for around £250.

3 hours ago, King Tut said:

Bugera Veyron 1001T. Don't worry about the Wattage figures, they're more than loud enough with  a nice thick valve sound. If you want a more flexible EQ try the Mosfet version. I use mine regularly with Stray and I've never run out of volume - and we are not a quiet band. I think they're going for around £250.

I sold bought a M version earlier this year and sold it as there was no band on the horizon. Had some spare cash so for £229 I bought another one. As KT says, ignore the silly watts, it`s a great piece of kit end of. Lots of love on here for them, try one and you may be surprised.

• Like 1

Quilter Bass Block 800?  Just about in budget new.  Solid little amp, works for me.  Possibly a bit lacking in high frequency sparkle if you’re into tweeters though - I have a dull set of flats on my fretless and through the Quilter into a BF One10 it still sounds dull!  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TorturedSaints said:

Quilter Bass Block 800?  Just about in budget new.  Solid little amp, works for me.  Possibly a bit lacking in high frequency sparkle if you’re into tweeters though - I have a dull set of flats on my fretless and through the Quilter into a BF One10 it still sounds dull!  

I really wanted a Bass Block but couldn’t find them anywhere. I think the selling point for me was that it seems to sound great but it’s transparent enough that you could just drop whatever preamp pedal fit the bill. 

In the end I went GK fusion and super happy though, it sounds great and I can always go straight into the return and use as a power amp if I fancy a different preamp pedal. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

I really wanted a Bass Block but couldn’t find them anywhere. I think the selling point for me was that it seems to sound great but it’s transparent enough that you could just drop whatever preamp pedal fit the bill. 

I can only find them for sale at Wembley Music Centre now.  How strange. 

On 30/07/2022 at 16:38, Ed_S said:

Purely my own opinion and experience, but I'd actually say there's something about the basic sound of the Fender Rumble (mine's a 500 v3 in the combo)

I've never had any complaints about my Rumble 500 v3 either. If the standalone head is as good as the combo it will be hard to beat. Great value for money too (cheap as chips really)

• Like 1

I was going to suggest Quilter too, I've got a Bass Block 802 and its excellent. Nice tone by itself, but also plays very well with external preamps if that's your thing.

Pretty sure I got mine from Wembley Music Centre.

Edited by robiredale
  • Like 2

You ought to check out the Hanndbox R400. weighs 10kg, so though not in class D territory it is still a one hand lift... the upside is theR 400 has a ´full plate´ 3x 12AX7 pre amp, with a modern toroidal transformer solid state output at 400W. Hand built amp for about 500 quid. 

• Haha 1

This, above...the 800w/down to 2.67 ohm power unit in the Magellan (and quite a few others now, too) is a step up from the original Class D offerings, and the preamp is very, very flexible (two channels, two/three-way contour control, etc.). The HPF is very well implemented, too.

If I hadn't run out of money, I'd still have mine...it was the last in a long run of (a dozen or more) Class D (and quite a few A/B) amps I went through, and stayed the longest...

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 1