Why become a member? ×

Bugera veyron T / GR 212 slim

Niiranen

Hello - been off more than 10 years , and now I'm a substitute in a rockband on borrowed amp speaker 
I have played guitar many years and tube is the 'holy grail' ..... But I don't have the same feelings about the bass equipment 

So I'm thinking about buy the Bugera ..... I know it's a cheap one ...but many places tell it's a really good amp ....man's I think my speaker will be a GR 212 slim carbon 

Some who have experience know-how ???

Edited by Niiranen

35 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I have the Veyron M and the T. Gigged both, either will do you proud.

Seriously loud, reliable amps in a lightweight package 

How do you find the M compared to the T? I’ve got the tube version and often wondered what the mosfet one is like!

6 hours ago, King Tut said:

How do you find the M compared to the T? I’ve got the tube version and often wondered what the mosfet one is like!

I was in the opposite situation which is why I bought the tube one - I just had to try it!

I find the MOSFET easier to get the sound I like. Probably because I'm more familiar with it than through any failing in the tube model. 

But honestly, they're both great.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Then I guess that the amp is in permanent bridge mode to get to the 2KW rating. This being so using standard 1/4"  phone jacks for the speaker connections is inadvisable as both conductors will be live with respect to ground. The SpeakOn sockets are all that should be used with a proper SpeakOn to SpeakOn speaker cable.

2 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

Then I guess that the amp is in permanent bridge mode to get to the 2KW rating. This being so using standard 1/4"  phone jacks for the speaker connections is inadvisable as both conductors will be live with respect to ground. The SpeakOn sockets are all that should be used with a proper SpeakOn to SpeakOn speaker cable.

I thought bridge mode was something that you got in stereo amps where you use both amps for one cab? This isn’t a stereo amp.

3 hours ago, King Tut said:

I thought bridge mode was something that you got in stereo amps where you use both amps for one cab? This isn’t a stereo amp.

It's common these days for class D amps to consist of a pair of amplifying units hooked up in bridge fashion to a single output. This leaves one of the output legs at case ground so grounding the other puts the amp into instant loop of death mode.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

It's common these days for class D amps to consist of a pair of amplifying units hooked up in bridge fashion to a single output. This leaves one of the output legs at case ground so grounding the other puts the amp into instant loop of death mode.

You live and learn! I often use a speakon to jack cable to hook up to a cab, am i in danger of imminent electrocution? If that’s the case, I’m surprised there’s not a warning in the manual - after al they’re not shy of warning us not to eat the product, immerse it in water or use it on the bank of an active volcano!!

2 hours ago, King Tut said:

You live and learn! I often use a speakon to jack cable to hook up to a cab, am i in danger of imminent electrocution? If that’s the case, I’m surprised there’s not a warning in the manual - after al they’re not shy of warning us not to eat the product, immerse it in water or use it on the bank of an active volcano!!

Always plug in the cab 1/4" first.

Always disconnect the power before unplugging the cab.

Nil danger unless there's a chance the lead can be yanked out midstream.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Both of the two speaker output terminals are not at ground potential, so when one of these terminals (say the shell/barrel of a 1/4" plug) touches ANY ground including the chassis, it shorts that amplifier to ground. Depending on how the protection circuit is designed, it can damage one or both channels pretty much instantly.

13 hours ago, King Tut said:

The shell/barrel of the 1/4" plug is not at ground but is a driven connection. On high powered amps this can be a shock hazard, though generally you won't get injured unless you are surprised and jump backwards into something else. On very large amps, the shock can certainly hurt.

10 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Always plug in the cab 1/4" first.

Always disconnect the power before unplugging the cab.

Nil danger unless there's a chance the lead can be yanked out midstream.

As long as nothing grounded (another cable plug that's ground referenced) happens to touch the shell/barrel of the bridged amp's output plug. Then it's a short circuit and the amp can be damaged.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1