Why become a member? ×

Psychedelic folk rock/pop song I wrote!

Baloney Balderdash

An old recording by me, for my alternative folk solo project "...and for such a long time".

Unfortunately not that well recorded and mixed, but I do plan on remixing it at some point in the future.

But otherwise I am actually really happy with the actual composition and lyrics writing I did.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

Good stuff, I liked it.

My feedback/pointers for the remix:

• basically leave the instrumental track as it is, but up a bit in the mix.
  • Leave that second 'ethereal' vocal as it is.
  • Push the foreground vocal back a bit by lowering the volume and adding some reverb or something. This song/sound doesn't suit the vocal so far in the foreground.

11 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Good stuff, I liked it.

My feedback/pointers for the remix:

• basically leave the instrumental track as it is, but up a bit in the mix.
  • Leave that second 'ethereal' vocal as it is.
  • Push the foreground vocal back a bit by lowering the volume and adding some reverb or something. This song/sound doesn't suit the vocal so far in the foreground.

I agree on all points.

As said I am fully aware it is far from an optimal mix.

But it was made at a point where I only had a pretty crappy condenser microphone to record, even if I think the actual recordings sound surprisingly decent despite that, and also I just got a new PC after my only 1 year old Macbook Pro with Logic installed died on me after spilled beer into it while making music with a friend of mine, so I didn't have a proper reverb plugin at the time either.

I am usually a big fan of reverb, and if I had had a proper reverb plugin at the time mixing this song the vocals would definitely had been processed thoroughly through that, really annoyed me even at the time I mixed it that I couldn't add more reverb to the vocal track and make it sound a bit more ethereal, definitely was never the intention that it should sound so dry.

But yeah, will pull myself together to make a proper remix at some point, and I am glad you liked the actual song. :)

Probably one of the most catchy songs I ever wrote, but without for that reason sucking up to anything, or deliberately going for being easily accessible. 

Here's another one of my personal favorites I recorded for that project, a couple of years earlier, this one is a bit more traditionally folky:

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2