Why become a member? ×

32" Scale 5 String

BassBunny

Having completed the experiment to see if a medium scale bass helps with the onset of arthritis, I'm now looking around for options for 32" scale 5ers before going down the get one built route. I've decided to go "full on" medium scale and have started shedding my standard scale basses.

I bought an Ibanez Mezzo 5 String, which is astonishing and I wouldn't object to getting another. 

What other 32" 5ers are out there? They seem pretty thin in the ground. I know MTD are bringing one out but not sure when it will be available in the UK.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BassBunny said:

I know MTD are bringing one out but not sure when it will be available in the UK.

I too look forward to try one of these. Bass direct listed as "coming soon" but it's been some time. I am talking about Kingston model. 

6 hours ago, BassBunny said:

I bought an Ibanez Mezzo 5 String, which is astonishing and I wouldn't object to getting another. 

I have one of these and they are very good for the money.

I also have US made MTD Lynn Keller Signature (532) and it is great in every way. Just too valuable for me to play at every gig so I bought the Ibanez Mezzo 5. No anxiety 😁

I think I saw a Mensinger 5 string at bass direct and I saw that Wilcock is making 32" 5 string as well as an Italian brand called Biarnel. Maruszczyk may have some too. 

Edited by GCYPbass

7 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

The only one I’ve noticed recently is the Spector Euro Bantam 5 - not cheap at £1650 but looks a good spec if you like dual EMG humbuckers. Bass Direct has one and there’s a YT vid or two. 

Having had a Spector, it's not for me. I had a Euro5lx and wanted to like it but couldn't.

1 hour ago, GCYPbass said:

I also have US made MTD Lynn Keller Signature (532) and it is great in every way. Just too valuable for me to play at every gig so I bought the Ibanez Mezzo 5. No anxiety 

I think I saw a Mensinger 5 string at bass direct and I saw that Wilcock is making 32" 5 string as well as an Italian brand called Biarnel. Maruszczyk may have some too. 

The MTD is a LK signature Kingston model. I'm looking forward to them appearing at BD.

I'll check out Wilcock and Maruszczyk. I've had some dialog with Biarnel a couple of years ago on a possible build. I'll give them another look.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BassBunny said:

Having completed the experiment to see if a medium scale bass helps with the onset of arthritis, I'm now looking around for options for 32" scale 5ers before going down the get one built route. I've decided to go "full on" medium scale and have started shedding my standard scale basses.

What other 32" 5ers are out there? They seem pretty thin in the ground. I know MTD are bringing one out but not sure when it will be available in the UK.

What does your Mezzo weigh? There is one on Amazon and they list it at 12lbs! That must be a printing error, surely.

I'm becoming more interested in short scale basses, as long gigs can leave me with aching joints, particularly in my left thumb.

30 minutes ago, chris_b said:

What does your Mezzo weigh? There is one on Amazon and they list it at 12lbs! That must be a printing error, surely.

I'm becoming more interested in short scale basses, as long gigs can leave me with aching joints, particularly in my left thumb.

Using some luggage scales it's between 7.75 and 8.00 lbs. Tried weighing it 4 times with different results.

It's astonishing for the price.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BassBunny said:

The MTD is a LK signature Kingston model. I'm looking forward to them appearing at BD.

I can guess that they will be great if they are half as good as the US LK model. They are not listed on MTD's website either yet but they appear in the price list and they don't seem to be too expensive. US prices though. 

38 minutes ago, GCYPbass said:

I can guess that they will be great if they are half as good as the US LK model. They are not listed on MTD's website either yet but they appear in the price list and they don't seem to be too expensive. US prices though. 

I messaged Mark @ Bass Direct about them a few weeks ago and he said they would be £949. Assume that is the four string version.

I have a Mezzo 5 and snapped up a Warwick Rockbass Corvette Medium scale 5 from the marketplace here soon after.

They are both great, but the Warwick edges the Mezzo for my needs. If you can find one, I recommend it.

I now take two Corvette's to a gig (one German 34 and the 32),as back up and if  space is tight (like last night) I opt for the 32". 

Edited by redbandit599
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BassBunny said:

I messaged Mark @ Bass Direct about them a few weeks ago and he said they would be £949. Assume that is the four string version.

MTD listed them as (MAP) $979 for 4 strings and $999 for 5 strings. I assume 5 strings won't be more than £1000 at Bass Direct. Sounds fair for what it is. Please let me know when you have chance to try and good luck with the search. 

Any info about when they will be in stock? 

Edited by GCYPbass

4 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Just remembered - Sandberg will build their 4 and 5 strings at 32 inch scale. It's a custom order of course, but available.

The upcharge is the same as going for a 35 inch scale.

More money for less bass? Harrumph! :D 

• Haha 1