Why become a member? ×

NBD: CIJ Fender PB-62 RI

Thunderpaws

Hi. Here is my new (oldish) Pbass that I bought from gas station guitars. Love the colour and it’s pretty light so that’s good too. 

Good points:

- colour is great, looks better in real life than the pictures.
- sounds cracking. Just like a Pbass! - - neck fits my muckle hands better than the Jazz I sold to find this. 

Not so good points:

- Had to give it a good clean as it was covered in a fine film of aged dust/grime/dirt

- Input jack was intermittent on first plug in. Have removed the pickguard and cleaned up the jack and pots with contact cleaner. Much better now. Also adjusted the contact of the inout jack. 
- strings are covered in the same grime and have been loaded in to the tuners with only half to one turn, new strings incoming. 
- relief was a tad much so have adjusted that, good to know the truss rod works though. 
- saddles are flippin high so action is way more than I like. I’ll drop those later once I get ten minutes. 

all in all, happy with the bass. More care could have been taken with prep before shipping. It’s in ace condition, although they were a pleasure to deal with in terms of money and communication.

The photos show that colour has faded a bit with time, as it’s more vibrant under the picknguard. 

if anyone knows anything about the pots, body wood and neck stamp please do share. 

A9ADCCA2-E827-491B-A8FD-817E904FC433.jpeg

8AE4623A-7631-4CC3-8C02-927134045717.jpeg

F4F67FF4-B8BA-4115-9D08-81BDA2C656D3.jpeg

B5B9D1AC-31B3-4CEF-AE5B-0770982A841C.jpeg

CA2CCBBC-13F3-4BCF-9E69-3BE1624CABD2.jpeg

6C5AF1AC-0576-406E-869D-DB4C5F818439.jpeg

C95EA4AA-91BD-4A07-8FE6-BE0B6B981C92.jpeg

A8D12149-13B4-48E4-846A-D6DF9689A7CE.jpeg

62594CCA-6D6E-4CD2-B733-0C03705E426F.jpeg

Edited by Thunderpaws
Update.
  • Like 19

8 hours ago, lonestar said:

Lovely bass.

I'd be tempted to message @KiOgon about fitting one one of his excellent wiring looms if there are any issues with the electrics. In fact they're a great improvement even if there isn't.

Thanks. I’ve cleaned up with contact cleaner and a wee rub. Seems better now. I think this bass has been sitting gathering oxides and dust in someone’s lift for a few years as even the strings seem to be covered in a fine layer of yuck.  Have cleaned those up too until new strings arrive today. 

Out of interest, what does the kiogon wiring loom do?

35 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Not heard of that dealer before!

Shall keep an eye on the site!

Si

Yeah, I would do. I wish I had more money to spend. There are some beautiful basses and guitars on there. Based in Taunton. Was shipped next day with parcelforce and seemed to have been very well looked after in transit. No scrapes or bashes on the box.

• Like 1

That's a cracking bass, really cool colour. I think the PB62 US models have an alder body?

Just had a look at their site and they have some great looking basses. I love the Japanese reissues, every one I've ever played has been fantastic.

Edited by Jonesy

17 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

That's a cracking bass, really cool colour. I think the PB62 US models have an alder body?

Just had a look at their site and they have some great looking basses. I love the Japanese reissues, every one I've ever played has been fantastic.

It’s strange. I thought they had alder bodies too, but the advert said Ash. Probs just a typo.  

only issue now is that a couple of the saddle screws don’t want to budge and they have pretty shallow and narrow slots. Recon I’ll have to try a penetrating oil if some sort…anyone any recommendations? 

4 hours ago, Thunderpaws said:

Thanks. I’ve cleaned up with contact cleaner and a wee rub. Seems better now. I think this bass has been sitting gathering oxides and dust in someone’s lift for a few years as even the strings seem to be covered in a fine layer of yuck.  Have cleaned those up too until new strings arrive today. 

Out of interest, what does the kiogon wiring loom do?

He makes top quality replacement looms using the same type of components and wiring used on the high end US and custom shop models. Have a look at his feedback on Basschat.

I fitted one to my Mex FSR Precision last year. They’re easy to fit and made a big improvement in the sound and feel over the stock ones for not a lot of cash.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Thunderpaws said:

It’s strange. I thought they had alder bodies too, but the advert said Ash. Probs just a typo.  

only issue now is that a couple of the saddle screws don’t want to budge and they have pretty shallow and narrow slots. Recon I’ll have to try a penetrating oil if some sort…anyone any recommendations? 

I think the 70s US reissue has an Ash body, so it could just be a mix up?

• Thanks 1

On 01/08/2022 at 09:22, miles'tone said:

The grain in the neck pocket does look like alder to me. Gorgeous P! Congrats!

Thanks very much. It is lovely, isn’t it. 

my new found set up issue is that I don’t really know what to do with the funny threaded saddles. I’m finishing it difficult to get strong spacing even across the bridge. Is there a knack to it?

• 1 month later...

that's a beauty of a P - i got a lovely aged white gone cream CIJ from GAS STATION - had to spend cash with luthier to sort neck bend and electronics which they refunded me - so agreed should spend more time sorting before sending but good prIces and really good selection of stock

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Duroc17 said:

that's a beauty of a P - i got a lovely aged white gone cream CIJ from GAS STATION - had to spend cash with luthier to sort neck bend and electronics which they refunded me - so agreed should spend more time sorting before sending but good prIces and really good selection of stock

Thanks Duroc.  I had a gig with it a couple of weeks ago and it did not disappoint. It was lovely actually. Teams up very well with my Genz Streamliner and Hudson Broadcast that I use to add a little bite to each note. Sounds great with fingers or a plectrum. Very pleased with it indeed. 

• Like 1

On 30/07/2022 at 11:00, Thunderpaws said:

Recon I’ll have to try a penetrating oil if some sort…anyone any recommendations? 

“Plusgas” is fantastic stuff (looks like Amazon have it, though I’ve never used the aerosols version personally). Propper penetrating oil - unlike wd40. Have used it for years on vintage bikes and cars and anything else. 

lovely bass! Looks so good in that colour. Good to hear some feedback about that trader too as he always has some lovely Jap stuff in. Prices have gone crazy though. 

56 minutes ago, lee650 said:

Oh I like that very much! Judging by the colour under the pickguard, I'd say it was Lake Placid Blue that's faded to green over time. I had a MIJ Tokai jazz that was a similar colour, I wish I hadn't sold it.

Possibly ocean turquoise? “OTM”

• Like 1

On 30/07/2022 at 11:00, Thunderpaws said:

First time I have noticed saddles that look like screw threads. I would have thought they would damage the strings. Maybe I need to get out or study bass photos more.

Personally I would scrap em and find some brass ones.