Why become a member? ×

I'm Torn.. 2x10 or 1x12

BigJHW

Hey,
I did have a good trawl though the forum but alas came up with nowt so hope you don't mind.

I'm torn between getting a 2x10 or a 1x12
I know I've mentioned before that I'm using a BF 212T - and i do love it

but for the ease of loading up the car i thought i'd get something a little smaller - i mean honestly there hasn't been an occasion yet since getting the 212T that I've ever actually used it at anything that could really be considered "loud".. using the Eich T900 i don't think i turn up above 1/4 at any gig so the 212T is WAAAAAAY too much for my needs in these little venues we play.. 

that said i will keep it cause i know it's gonna happen one day.

So - I play mostly ROCK !! Everything from 60's --> more modern stuff

i don't use pedals at all

i do play a 5 string so needs to handle the bottom B (you know - that comfy thumb rest that looks like a bass string)

Budget is low so sub £500 ideally (i do keep checking the ads page on here)

thoughts / suggestions/ insults welcomed :)

thanks low enders.

Big J

I would heartily recommend the two Epifani UL112 cabs for sale right now. I’m not affiliated in any way, these are just outstanding cabs. I’ve been using these for over 10 years, can handle pretty much every situation I need. Most of the time now, if it isn’t a loud wedding band, I just use one.

10 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

Of the two choices, always 2 speakers of any size for me. Never been a fan of single speaker set ups in anything, guitar combos included.

Absolutely right. All things being equal, multiple speakers will have greater sensitivity and sound louder than single speakers - they’ll shift more air and have more surface area. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bassbiscuits said:

Absolutely right. All things being equal, multiple speakers will have greater sensitivity and sound louder than single speakers - they’ll shift more air and have more surface area. 

Not really.

The amount the cone moves will create the SPL, not the size of the cone.

Not really.

The product of cone area (Sd) and excursion (Xmax) is displacement (Vd), which combines with sensitivity to give SPL. To further complicate matters driver size, and in the case of multiple drivers layout, affects dispersion. There are no short and sweet rules of thumb, other than always use the same drivers in a grouping, and always have that grouping vertically aligned.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Not really.

The product of cone area (Sd) and excursion (Xmax) is displacement (Vd), which combines with sensitivity to give SPL. To further complicate matters driver size, and in the case of multiple drivers layout, affects dispersion. There are no short and sweet rules of thumb, other than always use the same drivers in a grouping, and always have that grouping vertically aligned.

i don't know if i want my speakers to have SD or VD need a cream to clear that up.... And i'm sure you have to take a shot if you get Xmax :)

i am leaning towards a 2x10 - tho i do like the BF SC...
Urghh makes my brain ache haha

For me, I run the following cab wise:

Small (Jazz etc) gigs = a single 1x10 (a GR AT110 carbon cab)

Med gigs (weddings, functions etc) = a single 2x10 (Mesa Subway 2x10)

Larger gigs (concert halls, festivals etc) = two 2x10s (Mesa Subway 2x10)

All light and portable, but I always have the mind-set of picking the right cabs for the gig. 

I am more than happy with the cabs I have, and pretty much settled any "GAS" cab-wise.

The above probably doesn't help you directly though.....

• Like 1

I sold my BF BB2 recently as I was going even more lightweight, but I was happily using that with a 5-string and a Tecamp Puma 900, which I think is the same as the Eich 900. Plenty of volume, good sound (as you will realise from your own BF experience), and a second-hand one should be in budget.