Why become a member? ×

Fret buzz in dgcf tuning.

Earbrass

I have a bass, 34 inch scale. In standard tuning it plays fine, but when I drop the tuning to DGCF there is an objectionable amount of fret-buzz on the first 2 frets of the 1st and 2nd strings, which I can't get rid of without raising the action to uncomfortable levels. The bass is old and cheap, and I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. I am not competent to undertake fret filing myself. Options I am considering include taking it to a luthier for appraisal and possible fret filing (I'm assuming the 3rd fret is the problem - no buzz on open strings or on 3rd fret and above), or changing the strings for some higher tensions ones. The current strings are very old (probably a decade) roundwounds - not sure but I think they are a standard Rotosound set, probably 45-105. I don't want to have to mess with the nut. What would the basschat collective suggest? What strings would increase the tension to the equivalent of standard tuning without requiring enlarging the nut slots? Should I try flats? Would you bite the bullet and take it to a luthier? If so, are there any you would recommend in the Brighton area? I could just tune the 4th string down to D, but I'd rather not as it will mean re-learning the fretboard, and I don't use it much - just for the odd recording project. Value of the bass is under £100, but I am quite fond of it, as it is light (7.6 lbs) and very comfortable, and I have had the cavity professionally shielded and the jack socket upgraded many years ago when I used to gig with it. Thanks for any advice.

Buzz still there on Half Step Down rather than a whole step? Higher tension strings may help, but not ideal way to go...

If a truss rod tweak dont fix it, if you think its the 3rd fret, have you checked? google 'fret rocker'... If it 'rocks' and mainly just that fret, i'd be inclined to givr it a light sanding... youtube will show you how...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Thanks 1

It sounds like you just need to slacken off the truss rod a touch, to compensate for the lack in tension dropping every string down a tone, has caused. I bet if you slacken that off a bit you will be able to have your old action back and the bass playing perfectly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fingerz said:

It sounds like you just need to slacken off the truss rod a touch, to compensate for the lack in tension dropping every string down a tone, has caused. I bet if you slacken that off a bit you will be able to have your old action back and the bass playing perfectly.

This.

As PaulthePlug says - try the fretrocker thing first to check if the issue is with "Fret Number Three Please".

If that's okay then go to the truss rod. Turn it to the left (as you look at it) a tiny bit, leave a few minutes, test, repeat...

What bass is it ?

Basses doesn't automatically adjust themself to whatever you throw at them, that is your problem.

Adjust the bass to the lower tension of the lower tuning with the same strings, and I bet your issues goes away.

As several others pointed out this is a neck relief, or rather lack of, issue, that is fixed by loosening the truss rod.

If that doesn't help you might need higher tension/gauge strings.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash