Why become a member? ×

NND- New Neck Day for by Custom P Bass Body

Old Horse Murphy

After not getting a great deal of interest in my Custom P Bass body with EMG Jazz pickups, I decided to go down another route and see if I could source a Status Graphite neck for it. Considering how difficult it is to get hold of these necks I was lucky enough to be able to find one that was within reasonable (ish) driving distance and I so picked it up tonight. 

It's an absolutely spotless Jazz width neck pre-fitted with Schaller tuners that dropped right in to the body and although I've not really set it up properly yet the bass plays beautifully and gives me the opportunity for Jazz Bass sounds without the Jazz body which I struggle with ergonomically.

I think the whole thing looks ace too and weighs in at 9lbs 3oz. 

E6466069-0AEE-4310-88DB-BE3DCD061DCB.jpeg

67F3B13F-C900-4391-87E7-44C3FF9EBE25.jpeg

5CEE0519-3A41-4614-9884-201C12DC9E8F.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 23

8 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

After not getting a great deal of interest in my Custom P Bass body with EMG Jazz pickups, I decided to go down another route and see if I could source a Status Graphite neck for it. Considering how difficult it is to get hold of these necks I was lucky enough to be able to find one that was within reasonable (ish) driving distance and I so picked it up tonight. 

It's an absolutely spotless Jazz width neck pre-fitted with Schaller tuners that dropped right in to the body and although I've not really set it up properly yet the bass plays beautifully and gives me the opportunity for Jazz Bass sounds without the Jazz body which I struggle with ergonomically.

I think the whole thing looks ace too and at a guess weighs in around 9lbs. 

E6466069-0AEE-4310-88DB-BE3DCD061DCB.jpeg

67F3B13F-C900-4391-87E7-44C3FF9EBE25.jpeg

5CEE0519-3A41-4614-9884-201C12DC9E8F.jpeg

That was a rare and lucky find. You even got an older one with the logo. Bass looks great. P shape, Jazz pickups and neck, nice grain. Lovely.

• Thanks 1

On 29/07/2022 at 13:48, Old Horse Murphy said:

Thanks chaps. It plays beautifully and it's incredibly resonant. I just now need to work out whether or not I like Jazzes, even if they're in the form of a P Bass!

Stick a P-PUP between those Js?

Well I had the opportunity to gig this last night and it plays beautifully. The only problem is it still sounds like a Jazz 😂

Genuinely not sure what to do. I've had a large number of offers to sell the neck separately but I don't think I'll do that, otherwise I'll end up with a neck less body again. Decisions decisions. 

1 hour ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Well I had the opportunity to gig this last night and it plays beautifully. The only problem is it still sounds like a Jazz 😂

Genuinely not sure what to do. I've had a large number of offers to sell the neck separately but I don't think I'll do that, otherwise I'll end up with a neck less body again. Decisions decisions. 

Wire in a series switch. 

I've never really gelled with jazz basses purely because they don't sound like a P. 

With both pickups in series suddenly there's that rich, middy sound I prefer rather than all that honkety honk honk! 

Disclaimer, this is the correct terminology, despite what you might think. 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maude said:

Wire in a series switch. 

I've never really gelled with jazz basses purely because they don't sound like a P. 

With both pickups in series suddenly there's that rich, middy sound I prefer rather than all that honkety honk honk! 

Rout the neck pick up and pop a split coil or a humbucker in

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maude said:

Wire in a series switch. 

Is this what Fender did around 2005 with the S1 switching?  If so, it used to work a treat on my Jazz and certainly provided way more depth when engaged.  Then add an old set of flats......!

Edited by MungoBass
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MungoBass said:

Is this what Fender did around 2005 with the S1 switching?  If so, it used to work a treat on my Jazz and certainly provided way more depth when engaged.  Then add an old set of flats......!

Yes.

I really like a series wired jazz. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Maude said:

Wire in a series switch. 

This ∆∆

I get on with Jazz's, but do find they can be lacking in depth and can sound a bit thin. I had Mr Ki0gon sort that out for me with a series/parallel push pull on the neck volume (and also a tone bypass on the tone) and I love it now. Thoroughly recommend!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Thanks for all the suggestions chaps. I've cogitated in this and unfortunately it's not going to work for me and what I want so I think I'm going to put it up for sale. 

Ah Shame that Nick, but like I said earlier, I don't think you'll have much trouble shifting it.

• Thanks 1