Why become a member? ×

CIJ 62 Reissue Jazz Bass

tylerels

I'm interested in buying a 1999-2002 CIJ 62 reissue Jazz bass and have found one for sale that is a two and a half hour drive away from me. Does anyone located in/near Portsmouth have one thay they wouldn't mind me having a little noddle on before I commit to driving a five hour round trip for a bass that I might not get on with! (Side note, lovely 2016 Sandberg California T in red burst for sale soon come)!

Thanks in advance! 

I can't comment on that exact model, but I've had a couple of MIJ reissues and they're great basses. If you know you like a J then (personally) I'd be happy making that trip knowing that I was going to turn up and play a really nice bass.

Do you know if it's a US model?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I can't comment on that exact model, but I've had a couple of MIJ reissues and they're great basses. If you know you like a J then (personally) I'd be happy making that trip knowing that I was going to turn up and play a really nice bass.

CIJ..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jonesy said:

As above, it's a Crafted In Japan yeah! I've watched a few YouTube videos on similar era '62 reissues and the sound is lovely - I'll probably make the pilgrimage but thought I'd double check here first :)

Edited by tylerels

There isn't much difference in quality as far as I can tell. I'm sure someone who knows about Japanese guitars can tell us why the different terms are used. Some people say it's down to what factory the bass was built in, others that it's just down to different time periods. Either way, Made in Japan, Crafted in Japan and MADE IN JAPAN reissues are all really nice.

There's a shop near me that sell loads of Japanese Fenders and I spent a while in there playing what they had in stock at the time. They were all really great basses imo and I couldn't see much (if any) difference.

• Like 1

Ive owned a few Japanese Fender Jazzers in my time. only one was a bit stinky poo and it was a CIJ 62 jazz in surf green. IMO the best are the non export models. You can tell the quality difference. My old 75 MIJ non export was probably the best Jazz bass I've ever played... Built beautifully. Proper 70's jazz bass sounds...i put an Audere pre amp in it and just WOW...  You show me a better jazz bass tone than that bass.

Try and find the non export models imo.

IMG_0277.JPG

fullsizeoutput_251.jpeg

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 1