Why become a member? ×

Can someone build a body for me ?

Can someone build a bass body form me at a reasonable price.

I have just bought a spector N5 unseen (except for photos which didnt show the horrors !!! )

I thought i could do it up,with a bit time and patience.

As the original owner had scraped, burnt, and wire brushed,disc cuttered the body (i wasn't quite aware how much)

It really is for the scrap heap.

I have contacted a few well known after market body builders, and their prices are no what i expected at all.

I want the body to be painted,so not particular about the type of wood,as long as its light weight.

Many thanks

IMG_20220728_135852845~2.jpg

IMG_20220728_135914119~2.jpg

IMG_20220728_135719952~2.jpg

IMG_20220728_135746488~2.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I wonder if that body could be salvaged with some judicious sanding, filling and respraying? It certainly couldn’t be any worse.

+1 nothing to lose really,  the front of the body is not too bad so I would probably just sand the horns a bit at the front of the bass and go nuts sanding the back of the bass

I would add that if you are comfortable with taking basses apart and with electrics then it might be worth taking out the pickups and the wiring and going nuts sanding the body and once it is looking better finishing in a dark-ish laquer to cover any grotty looking bits

Its not I haven't thought of all the above its worst in real life that the photos.

This only a 1/3 of the lumps and bumps.

All the edges are misshaped and have lost they form.

I bought it from the front picture.

Its total wreck.

The neck is perfect,its like new

The bass had a red burst quilt maple front originally,the seller sent me a photo of what it looked like before 

I got it very cheap thinking i could transform it.

Some of the ruts are 8/10mm deep.

As it stands at the moment, its probably 4mm under thickness.

I’ve built and finished few bodies over the years and the cost is in the time not the materials. Making templates, cutting, routing, shaping, then sanding, spraying, flatting, and polishing all take hours upon hours. I would budget around one third to one half the cost of the bass when new for a new one-off body.

4 hours ago, known as Signal path said:

As it stands at the moment, its probably 4mm under thickness.

So this is a lightweight version!

Sanding and then some sanding and reshaping. Does it have to be exactly like the original? I would not go to a carpenter/luthier and suggest an exact copy. This is your chance to get a personal bass.

• Like 1

Get googling on Dry Ice Blasting, Soda Bladlsting and Corn Cob or Husk Blasting Services for wood doors and furniture... a softer version of sand blasting... mask up the neck pocket edges with duct tape... nothing to loose...

Edited by PaulThePlug

I read somewhere that Chris Squire had his Ricky painted, then sanded, then painted etc so often that it was significantly thinner than an original model. But it contributed to his signature tone. I agree with comments above - it's worth going for it with sanding however drastic. The worst case scenario is that it doesn't work and you end up getting a new body. But you may end up with something a little different that you like without spending loads on a custom body. 

• Like 1