Why become a member? ×

Source Audio midi control question

fretmeister

The SA pedals can interface with MIDI in two ways:

1) the little control port (3.5mm TRRS jacks)

2) USB

To do it the first way, you need the SA Neuro hub, plus any midi controller you like.

For the second way, you would need a controller with USB MIDI hosting functionality (e.g. Morningstar), plus an additional USB midi hosting adapter (e.g. Disaster Area Midi ghost) for the second pedal. 

SA neuro hub + any controller is probably cheaper, unless your controller of choice has USB hosting anyway.

NB you can DIY the second midi hosting adapter if you are handy with a soldering iron. This would save you maybe £50 off the Disaster area midi ghost. I posted on the DIY thread about this some time ago. 

• Like 1

On 28/07/2022 at 12:12, AJ567 said:

NB you can DIY the second midi hosting adapter if you are handy with a soldering iron. This would save you maybe £50 off the Disaster area midi ghost. I posted on the DIY thread about this some time ago. 

You don’t even need to DIY it. 

I bought one of these to us with my C4 and a Disaster area Micro and it works fine:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DM6EMQ2/ref=pe_27063361_487055811_TE_3p_dp_1

• 2 weeks later...

The TB thread on this states that the forthcoming adaptor will draw power from the control port (so, 1/8” TRRS) on the C4 etc. And there’s talk of 3.3v so I’m guessing the other end is a 5 pin DIN?

Cabling wise (because of no thru capability) the pedal

attached would need to be end of chain or fed from a midi splitter (especially if using 2 of them

i guess).

In a MIDI over TRS world, 1/8” or 1/4” as options instead of 5 pin DIN would give flexibility, but maybe not technically possible?

I’m kinda assuming it’ll only work for the ‘current gen’ of the smaller One pedals (C4 onwards). I’d guess the older pedals like aftershock don’t have the required smarts. And the larger pedals are just ‘native midi’ so wouldn’t need this.

I bit the bullet and bought the Neuro Hub, but for one or two SA pedals the adaptors would seem a good choice.

Some thoughts, there 😃

Edited by moley6knipe

18 minutes ago, moley6knipe said:

Ah! Excellent. I don’t know what instagram is so I’ll take your word for it 😬

it seems to be a product advertising system interspaced with scientifically illiterate “wellness” posts and underfed women bending over wearing thongs.

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...

I understand that your thread is a year old, and you're still in search of an economical way to control your two SA pedals, the Spectrum and Ultrawave, for an even more enjoyable musical experience. While your initial inquiry was made in 2022, it's worth considering that advancements in technology and product offerings may have occurred over the past year.
I recommend revisiting the Source Audio community forums or exploring websites like lalightingandsound.com for updated information on budget-friendly MIDI control options. Since your original post, new solutions might have emerged that are tailored to your specific needs.

Edited by Trepapann