Why become a member? ×

The "I own a Harley Benton" show-tell thread!

Baloney Balderdash

1659467985718965362194776936280.thumb.jpg.1acd65b1b9961c75d850b8da134b5ece.jpg

My B450FL progressive (on the left). Really fun to play. It's my first fretless (in fact my second bass ever). I went for HB as I wasn't sure how well I would get on with fretless, but it turns out that I love it! As this seems to be a topic of interest, I haven't done any setup on it yet, mainly out of laziness, but I'm pretty sure it needs one - there's a bit of buzz in a couple of places on the neck, and I think the intonation is a bit off. Now I'm a bit more invested in it, I'll get around to it soon. I'm happy with the strings it came with though.

I would definitely buy HB again, but for now I'm happy with the basses I've got. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Paolo85 said:

There was some resin-looking stuff here and there on the screws when they came out so I believe glued

HBZ has a light poly satin finish and I don't think they mask the pickup cavities before spraying.

Years back I worked for an office furniture place. In summer time it wasn't uncommon to arrive at the client's place only to find finish had softened with the heat. Stuff was dry when we took it from the spray shop.

Residue might just have been uncured finish.

• Thanks 1

On 29/07/2022 at 11:48, mcnach said:

I've got 3, and my girlfriend 1...

This is her PB-20 SBK. 

I had to replace the tuners because when I changed the strings (it's her bass, but I'm her 'tech' :D ) one of the tuners' gears just got all chewed up. This particular alloy of iron and cheese was not very good. Also changed the original tort pickguard to a single ply black, and put DR Red Neon string on it. The strings are much brighter in person but they're so hard to photograph! 

The cat hates the sound of the bass, but she's intrigued by it at the same time...

Great neck, very low action, and I like the sound of that pickup... it just sounds like a Precision should, with a really nice low mid growl to it.

IMG_20220728_200033.jpg?dl=1

Your cat is a double for mine from that angle, does she have a T800 style bi-colour face by any chance?

IMG_20220329_224051.jpg

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lemmywinks said:

Your cat is a double for mine from that angle, does she have a T1000 style bi-colour face by any chance?

IMG_20220329_224051.jpg

Not quite the same, but they could be family :D, similar 'socks' too

Fufu%2010%20years%20old.jpg?dl=1

211006%20Fufu.jpg?dl=1

She's my girlfriend's cat, but since we moved together she prefers to come to me for playtime. When we first met, the cat wanted nothing to do with me. She peed in my shoe once during the first month. After that I'd call her "little rusty bullethole" with a very smiley face everytime I saw her... she started to react to that name happily, expecting to play. :P

In her defence, it appears that they had a plumber in that day and he closed the bathroom door where her litter tray is (which was normally kept open when not in use) so I guess she was looking for an alternative and chose "the foreign object" :D

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Not quite the same, but they could be family :D, similar 'socks' too

Fufu%2010%20years%20old.jpg?dl=1

211006%20Fufu.jpg?dl=1

She's my girlfriend's cat, but since we moved together she prefers to come to me for playtime. When we first met, the cat wanted nothing to do with me. She peed in my shoe once during the first month. After that I'd call her "little rusty bullethole" with a very smiley face everytime I saw her... she started to react to that name happily, expecting to play. :P

In her defence, it appears that they had a plumber in that day and he closed the bathroom door where her litter tray is (which was normally kept open when not in use) so I guess she was looking for an alternative and chose "the foreign object" :D

Hahaha classic! Ours is knocking on for 16 and just tells us what to do now, we only realised she'd been training us long after it had already happened.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Haha 2

Here's my 2 (taken at the super-secret underground bunker, my house isn't quite this messy).

The short-scale is really nice, very light and plays really well straight out of the box. The fretless appears to be made from depleted uranium, as it's ridiculously heavy. Despite the weight, it plays really well and I used it on one song for our last album.

I bought the short-scale on a whim, one of the downsides of looking on this forum after a drink or two 🤣. I might give it a run out on a gig next week, as we may have limited cargo space in the car, but we'll see.

20220804_221536.jpg

• Like 5

I have owned & sold:

- Harley Benton Acoustic Fretless 5 (sold 2011)

- Harley Benton BZ-6000, (sold June 2020),

- Harley Benton E-1335 II sunburst (gtr)

- Harley Benton JB-75MN Black Vintage Series (sold October 2020)

- Harley Benton CST-24HB (sold January 2022) (gtr)

- Harley Benton PB-20 SBK (for sale @ my mother's)

- Harley Benton HB-35 Plus - Metallic Blue (Sold August 2022) (gtr)

All good instruments. I have been buying and selling over the past few years, trying stuff. Granted i never really dared modifying my instruments past new strings, a set up & sometimes adding little visual elements to them. I havent kept pics on my phone but i have a bunch of videos on my "artist page" on Fb: neillien. There U can see the basses, hear them & make fun of my playing ;°P

I am usually broke so i can't keep instruments if i want to invest in smthg else. But i trust Harley Benton. In fact the one thag left yesterday just funded the gtr that should arrive on Monday...

Ah also: same thing for me: i didn't know that basses needed to go through a set up to have them the way U want. My first bass was a Cort Action Bass and i almost quit playing because of how physically unpleasant & difficult it was to fight the instrument. So if U are gonna sell an instrument to a beginner, SOME set up should be done before shipping & i think it should indeed be mentioned in reviews so that people documenting themselves on their next purchases know what to expect & can anticipate either the costs of having a professional set up done, or teaching themselves how to do it.... the air conditioning blades comparison does not work here. 

• Like 2

HAd a little think and was surpised i have owned

pb20 in the matte black

mb5 in the matte black

HBZ 2005 through neck wood.

I am keen modifier of  basses.  Biggy on the PB was the machine heads, they stripped pretty quickly...you can only be so cheap i guess.  the overall build was great, and i swapped in some dimarzio p bass pickup and the thing barked...

MB 5 made it active, changed the bridge to the smaller plate style and addeda series parallel switch. Sounded amazing 

HBZ i liked a lot except the quality of the sanding on the finish was variable, so sanded it back and wax/oil finished it...transformed the feel. 

• Like 1