Why become a member? ×

Band Archives - what do you do?

andydye

Our originals band (The Fargo Railroad Co.) have been around for nearly 9 years now and I've been carefully collecting set lists, show posters, festival band/lanyards etc all that time, I now have a mahoosive pile of stuff that I want to keep so we can look back at it when we're too old to play and reminisce on the crazy times and the good times...

Questions...

Does anybody else do this?

How do you do it?

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve a box full of CDs, LPs, magazines where we’ve been interviewed or reviewed, plus t-shirts be they our own merch or festival tees where the band played. This only relates to my last band though.

so no storage hacks for keeping them straight and in order but so you can look through them with out causing a kerfuffle?

Well our drummer for his tees did the vacuum pack thing, one tee in each pack with the pertinent logo/focal point to the front. I’m too lazy do they’re all just in one big box together. I’ll probably never look at any of it again but it’s important to me that I have it all.

Most of my bands have had t-shirts but I have never kept (or in many cases - acquired) any of them. Mostly because they were made for selling and if each band member kept one it would eat into the profit margin (the realities of being in small original alternative rock/metal bands post 2008 credit crunch).

I have never kept a show/tour poster either, even though a few of them were very cool. This isn't a 'me not being sentimental' thing so much as a 'me moving a lot and not wanting to acquire too much stuff' thing. I would try to keep a copy of my complimentary CD for every release but some of them have been lost in home moves too. Some of my bands released vinyl records and tapes but I never kept them as I didn't own a tape player or record player to listen to them on!

I thought I would start to collect more stuff after purchasing a home in 2018. However, my most recent band released an album last year and I have already lost my complimentary copy. Also lockdown and fatherhood has really limited my gigging in any event. 

The most I will do is maybe Google the band name so I can re-listen to the stuff on Bandcamp/Spotify or the like. 

Yep - am probably a borderline hoarder... Not that there is any system - just piles of posters, flyers, unsold tickets, setlists etc in various drawers or shoved onto shelves.

Digital preservation is also becoming an issue - we try and film as much as we can and frequently record our rehearsal to multitrack (XR18 making this pretty straightforward) - it's amazing how quickly the gigabytes accumulate.

No doubt my kids will unceremoniously bin the lot once I've popped my clogs. 

I kept quite a bit of physical memorabilia from when I started (around 35 years ago now) - photos, posters, press cuttings etc. I didn't really look after them, just kept them all together in plastic folders. Later, a lot of the stuff was digital - mainly photos, video and audio but also some of the setlists and posters and quite a few blog entries and website copy. During lockdown I went through the mass of stuff - much of which was aging fast (like me) and decided to digitise as much as possible. 

When I trek I keep a journal and take loads of photos and I compile these into one of those online photobooks (I use Blurb - other suppliers are available). So I decided to do a similar thing with the band material. I wrote a potted history of the bands I'd been in, illustrated it with photos and scans, added the blogs and even stuck a CD with MP3 files of some of the recordings we'd made over the years to the inside back cover. If nothing else, it was a pleasant few weeks revisiting some of the funny stories and characters I'd met in various incarnations of the bands.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zbd1960 said:

I try to keep a poster and programme for all concerts I've sung/played in. 

me too, absolutely, how and where do you keep them though? I've way too many for them to be on the walls

2 minutes ago, andydye said:

me too, absolutely, how and where do you keep them though? I've way too many for them to be on the walls

I have several A4 magazine holders which occupy the bottom shelf of one of my bookcases in the study

I think one has to be fairly selective as you can amass a LOT of stuff. I have all the albums I played on framed on the wall above my stereo. I also have a lot of old magazines and fanzines from the early 90s onwards in a storage box. It's amazing how yellowed they have become. The photos are long since scanned and moved online. However, all of this is edited highlights as I would need a whole garage to keep everything. 

For the first three bands I was in it was very easy, as we did all our own recording and I was personally responsible for the design and printing of nearly all our gig posters and other printed material such as cassette and record covers. Therefore I had all the "master tapes" of everything we recorded, plus proper copies in their packaging with all the inclusions, of everything that was made available to the public. On top of that we took a lot of photos, and one band even had its own photographer who shot at least one roll of film at every gig we played. Unfortunately I managed to lose a lot of printed material and photographic prints during one of my house moves when I had a bit of a clear out of what I thought at the time was the less good material and for the photographs at least I think I chucked out the wrong pile.

Luckily I still have all the negatives of the third band's photos which I have been digitising as and when I have time, and the best of the posters has been preserved forever by the Victoria & Albert Museum in their permanent collection. Also the third band kept a scrap book of all our press and other "memorabilia" - mostly record company rejection letters.

As for the music, The Midnight Circus had a retrospective compilation CD released by Chicago label Hyped To Death which meant that all our recordings got digitised in order to decide which songs to use. I'm currently working on a similar release for the third band including our promo video (which when we got it digitised turned out to be much less good than we had remembered). Most of the second band's music is getting repurposed with one of my current bands.

Everything that I still have for these bands that hasn't been digitised is in safe storage, waiting to be transferred to a digital medium.

Since then everything I have done both audio and graphical has all been digital. This of course brings its own different set of problems. I have artwork for posters and CD covers from the 90s all created in Quark XPress which I can no longer access since I switched to InDesign and stopped upgrading XPress, and a load of Logic Audio 3 and 4 projects which don't open in Logic Pro X. Also for The Terrortones we were gigging almost every week and I wasn't responsible for most of the posters. For a while tried to collect a copy of everything, but after I failed to get a couple of posters for gigs I stopped bothering.

These days I've stopped bothering to collect everything that my bands are involved with. For me the music is the important bit, so as long as I have physical copies of everything that was made available to the public and digital copies of everything I have created myself for the bands I am happy.