Why become a member? ×

Jesse Phillips Serek basses

sshorepunk

I gigged my Midwestern at the weekend (mine is with the B90 though) and it's just a wonderful feeling and sounding bass. It always get's compliments for the sound!

You can hear it on this track should you be interested: 

Oh and here's mine:

1962023152_Screenshot2022-07-27at11_25_59.thumb.png.c96e9869936ec38fb3213012a0dbc4ed.png

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I've just googled the band. Listening to "Call me"

Why have I never heard of them before?

This is right up my street! 

They are awesome. Have seen them a couple of times in Manchester but had something on last night or would have made the trip over the Pennines. 

It was hearing a 5 string Midwestern played by David Byrne’s bass player on SNL that sent me down the short scale rabbit hole; a place I’m happy to be inhabiting. A Midwestern 2, with a pair of B90s would float my boat with bells on. However, the cost would sink said boat quite quickly too. Such are the vagaries of GAS and the boutique bass market. 😕

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

It was hearing a 5 string Midwestern played by David Byrne’s bass player on SNL that sent me down the short scale rabbit hole; a place I’m happy to be inhabiting. A Midwestern 2, with a pair of B90s would float my boat with bells on. However, the cost would sink said boat quite quickly too. Such are the vagaries of GAS and the boutique bass market. 😕

Sell all of your other basses and go for it! That is what I did to fund my Midwestern. 😄

image.thumb.png.adf7a363d9c7fecb183e752a34609867.png

I never knew she played the bass, although I do remember her saying that her favourite band is the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I would have liked her to be Labour leader, but I think her chance has passed now.

I really want to order a Serek bass but the current rate of exchange makes it just too much money to be a good deal. I will have to console myself with a Fender Mustang in the meantime. The Midwestern is a bit too lo-fi hipster looking for my taste, but a Lincoln or Sacramento would really float my boat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

I love the look of the midwestern, just wish they’d do a 32/33/34 with a slightly larger body - so it looked in proportion.

not a huge fan of their other body styles 

You can order the Midwestern in 32” these days. It will however cost you an additional 100 USD I think.

I’ve seen them a few times now, last time, Jesse was on a P-bass 

He swapped between his two Sereks, not had a listen to the different tracks yet (I did some short videos) but I suspect one is tuned down to D

I believe he has used Darkglass as I’ve seen him in one of their promo vids, but usually it’s Ampeg on precious gigs, although it was Orange for both bass and guitar on this gig for which he is now an endorsee 

https://orangeamps.com/artist/jesse-phillips/

he was also using a few effects, defiantly an envelope filter and possibly some kind of synth or fuzz, but couldn’t see 

couple of full live sets on Bandcamp that are worth a listen, especially the Wichita show

and a short set they did for Spotify is on, errr, Spotify, that’s really good

Tony  

Edited by sshorepunk
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, sshorepunk said:

I’ve seen them a few times now, last time, Jesse was on a P-bass 

He swapped between his two Sereks, not had a listen to the different tracks yet (I did some short videos) but I suspect one is tuned down to D

I believe he has used Darkglass as I’ve seen him in one of their promo vids, but usually it’s Ampeg on precious gigs, although it was Orange for both bass and guitar on this gig for which he is now an endorsee 

https://orangeamps.com/artist/jesse-phillips/

he was also using a few effects, defiantly an envelope filter and possibly some kind of synth or fuzz, but couldn’t see 

couple of full live sets on Bandcamp that are worth a listen, especially the Wichita show

and a short set they did for Spotify is on, errr, Spotify, that’s really good

Tony  

Seems like a great band! Thanks for the the tip through this thread. 

11 hours ago, Clarky said:

20220426_182850.thumb.jpg.23ddc2d14fc16feba5c8e053198ce3a2.jpgMine for good measure

That is a thing of beauty, Clarky!  If you ever decide to part ways with it  I would buy it in a heartbeat.