Why become a member? ×

Protecting toggle switches

TobyC

Hey chatters

So on my TC electronic BH800 there are a number of small toggle switches. The ones at the front are protected by rails, but the one at the back (pictured) is not only exposed, but is the most protruding thing at the back of the amp. I am just waiting for it to snap off when the amp is in a bag. Does anyone have any non permanent solutions that can protect it? I hardly use the switch itself, so it can be a solution that means the switch is covered. Also, I don't care if it looks like a complete bodge, so long as it works.

Thoughts?

Thanks 

Toby

IMG_20220726_194253.jpg

Bodge, I'm yer man!

Go down to Poundland and get some stick on Velcro. Then head for the off licence and buy a bottle of wine. The order of purchase is not essential.

From the velcro, cut Polo shaped pieces, one to fit around the toggle switch. Remove cork from wine and drill it so the toggle will fit inside. Stick other piece of Velcro to cork, et viola you now have a removable cover.

To toast your success, by some strange occurrence you find an open bottle of wine conveniently within reach. Cheers! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, John Cribbin said:

Bodge, I'm yer man!

Go down to Poundland and get some stick on Velcro. Then head for the off licence and buy a bottle of wine. The order of purchase is not essential.

From the velcro, cut Polo shaped pieces, one to fit around the toggle switch. Remove cork from wine and drill it so the toggle will fit inside. Stick other piece of Velcro to cork, et viola you now have a removable cover.

To toast your success, by some strange occurrence you find an open bottle of wine conveniently within reach. Cheers! 

This sounds exactly what I'm after. Has all the ingredients: it works, it's cheap, it's a bodge, and it involves booze 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

If ya dont use the switch... how about taking it out and just wiring a link?

Would rather not for two reasons: one I'm not a tinkerer and don't want to open it up and two, I may rarely need it so so still need occasional access. But great suggestion!

Appreciate that space might be tight in there, but wouldn't some kind of flush switch like a slide switch or a latching push switch have made more sense in a portabie device?

EDIT: obviously that question's aimed at TC, not the OP ;)

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/07/2022 at 19:49, TobyC said:

So on my TC electronic BH800 there are a number of small toggle switches. The ones at the front are protected by rails, but the one at the back (pictured) is not only exposed, but is the most protruding thing at the back of the amp. I am just waiting for it to snap off when the amp is in a bag. Does anyone have any non permanent solutions that can protect it? I hardly use the switch itself, so it can be a solution that means the switch is covered. Also, I don't care if it looks like a complete bodge, so long as it works.

Using a small angle grinder or a Dremel, take most of the length off the toggle, leaving just enough to be able to use a screwdriver or similar to operate the switch.

Edited by tauzero
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 26/07/2022 at 21:28, John Cribbin said:

Bodge, I'm yer man!

I was literally about to suggest a Cork. But not to the extent of your brilliant velcro inclusion.