Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic BH250 Amp Problem

anzoid

Just bought a secondhand TCE BH250 amp off of eBay. Condition externally is good. It powers up fine but there is a constant whine that I don't think is the fan. Listening up close to the amp it sounds like a tiny little modem is screeching away in there.

It's loud enough that playing sitting next to it in my room with volume at a quarter and all the controls flat it is noticeable. From across the room you can hear it when nothing else is making a noise. I would imagine that at a gig it would be almost un-noticeable. I'm reluctant to open it up - thought trying to disconnect the fan to see if that was the cause. When the mute switch is engaged the tone of the whine changes pitch slightly. Wondered whether this is a sign of imminent component failure?

Any ideas what it might be?

So, am I being overly critical of a cheap amp or have I been sold a duffer? Could this have been from being rattled around on route? It came in the original TCE box and a thin layer of extra cardboard.

Does anyone know of a quick fix - or whether this is even just a TCE thing?? Not fancying the hassle of boxing it up and sending it back, but not exactly happy with it either.

Sorry for so many sub-questions! Any help appreciated!

Hmmm, that is definitely a possibility - from a very unscientific test of putting my ear to the amp, the noise does seem to be coming from where the power supply is from looking through the grill. Realised the noise also starts well before the fan kicks in...

Easily fixable (like £50 or less?), or do I just send it back?

And edited to say - thank you!!

Edited by anzoid

1 hour ago, anzoid said:

Easily fixable (like £50 or less?), or do I just send it back?

Unlikely. Real Electronics are the official repair outfit for TC gear, same as MarkBass. 

These were their charges about 2 years ago.

£35 to diagnose the problem, which you get back if you go ahead. £69 fixed labour, £18 courier fee to send it back + parts + VAT. I am pretty sure they don't repair to component level, so basically board swappers.

When I got the estimate for my MarkBass it was north of £200, so I binned it.

Thanks @BassBunny - brought it into work with me this morning to see if it might be an EMI thing (which apparently can affect SMPSs), but it made the same noise. Tapping the case made a difference - the noise changed to a rapid ticking noise. Well, looks like it's going back... which sucks because the basic tone of the amp when you tune out the noise is good.

Thanks @grandad I used to have a BG250-208 and it was a great little amp. From what I've read about SMPS issues - whistling as identified by @goingdownslow can be due to bits having come loose, or being bashed. So, I'm guessing that the amp was fine when it left the send, but had a few bumps along the way. The packaging was OK, not double boxed, but also no evidence of damage. Kinda sucks :(

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Does it have toneprints - maybe reset them to standard toneprints in case there is something bad in there?

Will give that a go, thanks :)

Overall, is the noise potentially a sign of imminent component failure? Because I could probably live with it at gig levels...

9 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Does it have toneprints - maybe reset them to standard toneprints in case there is something bad in there?

I've had issues with weird noises from toneprints on a BG250. I just deleted/reinstalled or installed a different one. 

There is a degree of computer shizz in most TC amps and we all know how computers can play up.

On 27/07/2022 at 09:23, anzoid said:

Thanks @grandad I used to have a BG250-208 and it was a great little amp. From what I've read about SMPS issues - whistling as identified by @goingdownslow can be due to bits having come loose, or being bashed. So, I'm guessing that the amp was fine when it left the send, but had a few bumps along the way. The packaging was OK, not double boxed, but also no evidence of damage. Kinda sucks :(

If you do decide to investigate the innards, do take care not to get a shock. 

With it powered up I would gently press the board & components with say a lollipop stick & listen for a change in the whine. Coils would be suspect. I have cured whines with a few drips from a candle.  

Edited by grandad
  • Like 1