Why become a member? ×

String size

jonunders

I have been looking to purchase a new set of strings and l realise I don't understand if the difference in size affects the tonal quality of the string. Does one give a tighter sound and a bigger string more growl. Is there much to gain by putting .40 as apposed to .45 for the E string or .120 .125 or .130 for the B string and so on for the other strings. Or dose just boil down to how they feel?

A more taut string sounds more taut. To my ears, that usually means a crisp, vibrant sound, with an enjoyably immediate attack, but other people notice completely different qualities. I guess we each have our individual ways of weighting the aural information we receive.

A really taut string, though, is one I haven't the strength to get ringing properly, and that just sounds rubbish. I once had a 45-105 set of Fender Pure Nickels on my P for half an hour, and they were totally beyond me — I had to downtune them before I got any real tone out of them 😒

I always go for the largest gauge I can find. Currently my TI flats have a .136 B string. My DR's used to be the .130 sets.

IMO there's more body in the tone with large strings.

I play with a pretty light touch, so tension isn't something I notice much.

I find the larger the gauge the more depth to the sound, but conversely I find the thinner the gauge the more I enjoy playing them. So my ideal is 45-100 but sourcing my fave Elixirs in that gauge is pretty much impossible lately so it`s been 45-105, however recently I strung my Stingray with EB Coated 50-105 rounds and have to say I really like them, so depending on how they last I may switch to them on all my basses.

Bigger string gauge = more volume IMO.  I increased the size of my higher strings and kept the lower strings as were to balance out the volume across the strings a bit.  I didn't notice much difference other than that.  

I had a Modulus Quantum 5 SPi. You know, graphite neck, 35"... I tried several low B strings. I went thicker and thicker and wanted really tight sound. But no chance. By accident I had to put a .120 - and the bass started to sing!

Please be playful and do research with an open mind. I know you will find your favourite.

• Like 1

I like light strings - thicker strings with more tension are just harder to play for me.  I get Ernie Ball Extra Slinky Bass, which are 40-95.

I can only really put up with heavier if I play with a plectrum, or it's just rock kind of stuff.

I like a bit of rattle in my sound too, for a super clean sound, heavier strings are better.