Why become a member? ×

Feedback prevention - F-its alternatives?

Jakester

Does anyone know of any alternative products to F-its?

I played a gig last week and basically had to cut all the low and mid-low end from the DB sound to prevent feedback on stage, meaning I struggled to be heard out front. The bass wasn't DI'd (which was probably an issue on its own, but owing to the nature of the gigs I play probably unavoidable in the short term). 

I'd really like some f-hole covers like the F-its - https://www.f-itsfeedbackblockers.co.uk/ 

but a notice on his website says that he's not making products for the foreseeable, and there's been no response to the message I sent. 

I suppose I could mess around with foam myself, but does anyone know of a similar product before I start? 

11 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Are you using a notch filter or anything Jake?

I had this ages ago and an uninflated beach ball placed inside the f- hole with the nozzle outside.m so it can be blown up was recommended to me. It did actually help 

I have a three-band preamp with adjustable mids, but no more than that. Lol at the beachball though I get the idea behind it.

Same principle as this I guess: 

https://gollihurmusic.com/accessories-for-upright-bass/fun-bass-stuff/bass-bomb-feedback-fighting-resonance-reducer/

5 hours ago, Mottlefeeder said:

Not quite on topic, but may help - I play a 5-string ABG and I find that an HPF gives me better control of feedback than the built-in notch filter.

David

2 hours ago, Clarky said:

Hmm, I was hoping to avoid having to go down the ‘extra pedal’ route - I usually play both electric and DB in the same gig (sometimes even in the same song!) and I’ve been using a dual-input Providence preamp (which is what allowed me to cut the bass on the DB at the gig) into a pedalboard for effects etc (on the electric only!)

I guess I could run a HPF before it goes into the preamp but that would make the setup that extra bit more complex. 

There’s a thread, maybe a couple, going back on here where people have suggested using foam gardeners kneeling pads as f hole blockers.

Thats what I still use - you get a crayon and some paper, do a rubbing of your f hole shape, cut it out, lay it on the foam pad and cut round it with a craft knife. Job done.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Jakester said:

I guess I could run a HPF before it goes into the preamp but that would make the setup that extra bit more complex. 

I have an Fdeck HPF permanently mounted on the tailpiece, the pickup is always plugged into the input, so the HPF output just replaces the pickup output - setup is no more complex than plugging in one lead.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AndyBass said:

There’s a thread, maybe a couple, going back on here where people have suggested using foam gardeners kneeling pads as f hole blockers.

Thats what I still use - you get a crayon and some paper, do a rubbing of your f hole shape, cut it out, lay it on the foam pad and cut round it with a craft knife. Job done.

Thanks - I'll have a look and see if I can give that a go then!

12 hours ago, TheRev said:

I have an Fdeck HPF permanently mounted on the tailpiece, the pickup is always plugged into the input, so the HPF output just replaces the pickup output - setup is no more complex than plugging in one lead.

Thanks - still "moar geer" with attendant cost too though. Worth knowing it's possible though - how'd you attach to the tailpiece? Velcro?

I use 3M Dual Lock tape - bit more hardcore than Velcro and doesn't wear out, but Velcro works fine too.

As far as 'moar geer' is concerned,  I consider the HPF an essential item - just as vital to the gig as my bass or my amp.  M band is loud and I've spent a lot of time (and yes, money, which I try not to think about) getting my live set up as simple and feedback-free as I can.  I wouldn't contemplate playing a gig without a HPF, which is why I always bring two (Fdeck & Fishman Platinum Pro).    

Edited by TheRev

On 26/07/2022 at 12:13, Old Horse Murphy said:

Are you using a notch filter or anything Jake?

+1 to this, I find the notch filter on my EDB-1 is an absolute godsend. I usually run it into a microthumpinator to take the low frequencies out too.

I also have a Peavey feedback ferret in a rack somewhere, but havent got around to trying it on DB.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just to circle back round to this, I managed to pick up (boom boom - or not!) a Thumpinator which now sits under my pedalboard. 

Did a gig at the weekend on a hollow stage stood right in front of my amp, and even with it turned up quite high there was nary a hint of feedback, so here's hoping for now it's dealt with this issue. 

Thanks all for your input. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Since I changed to a Krivo magnetic pickup I've never had a single squeak of feedback. The only drawback is I can't use gut strings anymore, but the Eurosonic Lights are nylon with a steel rope core and get me close. These days I'm playing a lot of jazz as well as rockabilly, and the Krivo is fine for that too. In fact of all the piezo pickups I've owned (Shadow, Fishman, Barbera, BassMax and Vic's) I prefer the Krivo for it's very nice highs. I can lay my bass right in front of my amp and it will not feedback. Just my experience.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 17:12, Jakester said:

Just to circle back round to this, I managed to pick up (boom boom - or not!) a Thumpinator which now sits under my pedalboard. 

Did a gig at the weekend on a hollow stage stood right in front of my amp, and even with it turned up quite high there was nary a hint of feedback, so here's hoping for now it's dealt with this issue. 

Thanks all for your input. 

This is interesting.  So the Thumpinator fixed it for you?  Do you feel like it has affected the tone much?

I bought a Westbury, just after f-its stopped producing covers.  It's a lovely dark instrument, but real handful to amplify.  If I can't get f-its I might try a Thumpinator.

6 hours ago, Paddy Morris said:

This is interesting.  So the Thumpinator fixed it for you?  Do you feel like it has affected the tone much?

I bought a Westbury, just after f-its stopped producing covers.  It's a lovely dark instrument, but real handful to amplify.  If I can't get f-its I might try a Thumpinator.

It hasn’t so much fixed it, as reduced it’s so it’s less of an issue. It’ll still feedback, but the point at which it does so is higher volume and it’s less affected by hollow stages. I have still ended up turning the bass down on my preamp but less so. 

• Like 1

Thanks for that.  I bought one and will try it out.

I also ordered some open cell rubber foam and I'm going to try and replicate some F-Its for my carved bass.   I would love to get Bob to make them, he does such a beautiful job.  But his website has been taken down and his FB page seems to be inactive.   I'm sure he has good reasons.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paddy Morris said:

Thanks for that.  I bought one and will try it out.

I also ordered some open cell rubber foam and I'm going to try and replicate some F-Its for my carved bass.   I would love to get Bob to make them, he does such a beautiful job.  But his website has been taken down and his FB page seems to be inactive.   I'm sure he has good reasons.

He retired - I had a set made just before he closed up shop.   I think he once posted his manufacturing process on here, years ago. if that could be found it would be an amazing resource.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, just resurrecting this topic!

My new(ish) bass is very susceptible to feedback. I played a gig on Saturday night which was ampless so just running into a Sansamp and the only noise on stage was the drum kit. We were on a solid floor playing at reasonable volume but every time the drummer hit anything it would make my whole bass start to vibrate and feedback. On hollow stages or in front of an amp this is even worse! I found stuffing a rolled up towel between the bass and the tail piece helps but not as much as I need. I might try cutting foam for the F holes...

I've sometimes seen people tie fabric around the middle of the bass, is this the same idea too presumably?

@lobematt Do you have any form of High Pass Filter in your chain? My first port of call would be to tweak the amount of sub going on, followed by switching the phase (There's always a better way round, depending on the room/PA). Loved my Fits with my old bass, but so far haven't felt the loss (since i changed basses and couldn't get any) thanks to the above. 

I just ordered an HPF pedal from Sine Effect via eBay, with an adjustable cut frequency (unlike some others with are fixed at around 30hz). I'm looking forward to trying this out live, not just for feedback control but for enhanced clarity of tone - I think there's a lot of subsonic thumping going on when you play pizzicato on DB.

On 02/05/2023 at 20:57, lobematt said:

Hi guys, just resurrecting this topic!

My new(ish) bass is very susceptible to feedback. I played a gig on Saturday night which was ampless so just running into a Sansamp and the only noise on stage was the drum kit. We were on a solid floor playing at reasonable volume but every time the drummer hit anything it would make my whole bass start to vibrate and feedback. On hollow stages or in front of an amp this is even worse! I found stuffing a rolled up towel between the bass and the tail piece helps but not as much as I need. I might try cutting foam for the F holes...

I've sometimes seen people tie fabric around the middle of the bass, is this the same idea too presumably?

Iif the PA has notch filters you could soundcheck your way out of strife from drum induced conniptions. 

I have had qualified success killing feedback on myself with 3 band parametric notch capable filter in concert with old Trace SMX that cured the remaining trouble with preshape 2 engaged. Ymmv. It never sounded quite right with all the notches but it didn't feed back.

• 2 weeks later...

It's really pretty easy to make f-hole covers. I made sets for all my basses years ago, before F-its existed. I copied the design by 'Dougs Plugs' in USA (why are all these products apparently named by Finbar Saunders??)

You need 2 thicknesses of hi-density foam. A thick piece for the plug (20-30mm) and a thin piece (3-5 mm) for the top (which stops it falling into the f-hole).

As previously described, you just do a pencil rubbing of your f-hole (only 1 needed as they're exact mirror images).

Cut it out, and draw round it onto the thick foam. Cut out with a modelling knife. Safest to be fairly loose with the cutting so the piece is a fraction oversized, then you can trim (or file) until it fits.

Then do same with the thin piece of foam, but cut 3 or 4 mm bigger all round. stick that piece onto the outer surface of the plug using appropriate glue. Done.

I swear by these things. Used every gig for more years than I can remember. Feedback is practically a thing of the past. I play pretty loud ... Markbass 500W into 2 12" cabs, wound up pretty hot, standing right in front.

I often go wireless-walkabouts in front of festival PAs too. Not a peep of feedback.

• Like 2