Why become a member? ×

July Composition Challenge voting time ---the bar gets raised again!

lurksalot

best 3 this month please   

12 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your top three entries...

• Dad3353
    • NickD
    • Leonard Smalls
    • Lurksalot
    • xgsjx
    • Nail Soup
    • doctor J
    • Upside downer

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/07/22 at 23:01

June was a hotly contested challenge, and with congratulation to  @Dad3353 @Leonard Smalls @Nail Soupand @skankdelvar  for their most excellent compositions.

As it was his first win, the honour of picture choosing has fallen to Nail Soup , who offered the following .....

"Its a small ornament I saw on holiday in the hotel lobby"   

This has provided obvious inspiration to some fantastic work , raising the bar yet again!

Have yourself a listen through and choose you your favourite 3 , 

image.png.b59d0367246733f3e5ee5f85d1556092.png

The choices on offer this month are as follows 

@Dad3353           Passing on the Message, from generation to generation, as has been done for generations past, and will continue for generations to come.
Simplisism, with the Mother Tuba encouraging the Baby French Horn to have confidence, to follow, then lead, staying synchronised, all the while having great fun..! There's a lesson there for us all to learn, maybe..? 

@NickD     The image spoke to me of circus tricks, which in turn tickled my sinister bone. There's always been something about circuses that makes me uneasy, and I've always had a sense that behind the thin veneer of spectacular glitz and glamour there's probably rampant animal cruelty, violent, alcoholic clowns, and all sorts of dodginess. ... this idea of the sideshows distracting us from hideous goings on, naturally led me to draw comparisons with dodginess going on behind the curtain while we watch amazed at the current shitshow.

@Leonard Smalls   

This month I done a song about Infinite Regress, which is where in an infinite series of entities, each entity depends entirely on the existence of the previous entity. This is often illustrated by the idea that the world is supported on a turtle, which is in turn supported by another turtle. So how far do these turtles go? All the way down.

But every fool knows it's hippos, not turtles! Hence, we have this achingly beautiful melody: (good luck ☠️)

4 Lurksalot   OK then, I have enlisted the help and vocal skills of Fat Harry White , the Hippo of Luuurve , and he is on form let me tell you 

@xgsjx  I give you Hippo toe to toe at the hippodrome - Toe Toe

@Nail Soup  The picture evoked care-free playtime between parent and child (with my parents and also myself with my kids when they were younger), so the lyrics are from there. The music came from a quick mess-around with some jangly C86 ideas.

@Doctor J    I took a literal approach. The Hippo, nature's most untrustworthy beast.

@upside downer   A lolloping, lazy saunter with a vaguely hip(po) hop groove. Mucking about at night is all well and good but, c'mon, the blazing sun is on its way; let's get ourselves in the refreshing water.

It could be a bit tricky limiting your choice to 3 , but the voting will close on the 31st July.

Good luck to all 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2