Why become a member? ×

EMG HZ connecting a pair together

fleabag

I've been looking at EMG HZ  pickups, and if i only wanted one pickup, it seems straight forward.

One pickup comes with everything needed, apparently. 

733653632_EMG2.JPG.9fc656e913ef4a86acdd63716df6548f.JPG

But if i order 2,  i get the same install system as 1 pickup.   So double everything in the list.

Surely they need to connect to each other somehow , like a regular pair of pickups.  Since these use solderless connectors, not sure how this is done, and do i need exactly 2 of everything ,

as this is what i will get if buying a pair.

EMG.JPG.ae10a11811f37d87b491ef11135805e4.JPG

Edited by fleabag

Thanks Woody.

It still seems that buying 2 pickups means i get 2 of the large connector blocks, but surely , looking at the diagram for 2 pickups, i only need 1 ?

And judging by the diagram 9 or 10, which seems the closest,  they assume a pickup selector switch.

And diag 9 uses 1 master volume and 1 master tone.   Diag 10  uses 2 volumes and 1 tone.

So i get left with a surplus main connector block with either diags,  plus  a spare tone and spare volume pots diag 9, or a spare tone pot  diag 10.

This doesnt seem a financially good way to purchase 2 of the HZ pickups

1095808353_EMGblock2.thumb.JPG.61755acdb61bfe4973e167d665a55d88.JPG

Edited by fleabag

58 minutes ago, fleabag said:

It still seems that buying 2 pickups means i get 2 of the large connector blocks, but surely , looking at the diagram for 2 pickups, i only need 1 ?

Yep.

And judging by the diagram 9 or 10, which seems the closest,  they assume a pickup selector switch.

Well, that is if that is what you want - there are a lot of diagrams depending on what you want. Obviously if you want volume / blend / tone you would do it a different way, or volume / volume tone etc.

And diag 9 uses 1 master volume and 1 master tone.   Diag 10  uses 2 volumes and 1 tone.

So i get left with a surplus main connector block with either diags,  plus  a spare tone and spare volume pots diag 9, or a spare tone pot  diag 10.

Yes but from EMGs point of view, they pennies at most, so it is just easier to put them all in.

On 25/07/2022 at 22:29, fleabag said:

Yeah i guess i can throw the surplus parts in a draw.

I'm surprised  i can't buy a pair of those in a kit.  The install accessories would then be tailored for 2 pickups.

Not worth it for EMG.

A whole new additional packaging for such a set would cost more for EMG than an extra connector block, and I would think most people who upgrade or swap stock pickups would be likely to combine different pickup models anyway, meaning that if this should be consistent EMG would end up having to supply a lot of different double pickup sets, not to speak of those few people who run basses or guitars with 3 pickup configurations.

Simply not worth it for EMG from a strictly business point of view.

Finally this form allows customers more flexibility if they eventually end up using the 2 pickups in 2 different instruments, so there's that too.

So really not that surprising when you think of it.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash