Why become a member? ×

EuroVision Song Contest in the UK for 2023..?

Dad3353

20 hours ago, Doctor J said:

They should have it somewhere in the midlands. That way, people don't have too far to travel to point out in person that they're not interested in it and never watch it.

The NEC ought to do the trick. I haven't had a telly for 30 odd years, so I can honestly say I never watch it, but if it makes people happy, who am I to criticise?

3 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

The NEC ought to do the trick. I haven't had a telly for 30 odd years, so I can honestly say I never watch it, but if it makes people happy, who am I to criticise?

Thats where I am. I occasionally watch the end episode which is generally the most interesting thing on TV that day, but generally speaking don't pay much attention, but I know people who love it and travel round the world to go to it who are going to be thrilled that it is in the UK, wherever it is, so I can only see it as a good thing.  The way the country and government are going, we are sure going to need something positive next year, so bring it on!

21 hours ago, silverfoxnik said:

Who cares - Eurovision is way, way past it's sell by date! 

So's this cheese I just found at the back of the fridge but that won't stop me. 😁

I don't mind the whole Eurovision thing. Folks that enjoy it will watch, folks that don't won't... or shouldn't but lots still do and then grumble about it anyway. 

If we got rid of everything there is to grumble about, what would we have left to talk about?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Maude said:

So's this cheese I just found at the back of the fridge but that won't stop me. 😁

I don't mind the whole Eurovision thing. Folks that enjoy it will watch, folks that don't won't... or shouldn't but lots still do and then grumble about it anyway. 

If we got rid of everything there is to grumble about, what would we have left to talk about?

Bass stuff, obviously ... 😁

• Haha 2

I'm not a Eurovision fan and won't be watching, but if others like it then OK.

I'd like to see it hosted in physically in the UK, but nominally by Ukraine... with Ukrainian presenters or whatever it is the host country does.

A bit like when a football team plays their 'home' matches at a different stadium during an upgrade to their ground.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, lurksalot said:

I don’t mind the show itself , however if you catch any BBC content , the show is continually promoted to death , and it just drags on soooooooo much 

It will be ‘the best Glastonbury ever’. Oops!😁

21 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

I'd like to see it hosted in physically in the UK, but nominally by Ukraine... with Ukrainian presenters or whatever it is the host country does.

Totally this ↑

UK supplies venue, logistic and technical support then stands back.

Creative decisions, sequencing, hosts, visual theme, direction on the night, etc should be down to the Ukrainians and not a Brit in sight.

• Like 3

On 27/07/2022 at 15:21, Nail Soup said:

I'm not a Eurovision fan and won't be watching, but if others like it then OK.

A bit like when a football team plays their 'home' matches at a different stadium during an upgrade to their ground.

I think that's the plan - the reports have been that it will be a celebration of Ukraine as if it was being held there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

Whilst I am an unrepentant “remainder”; I thought one of the results of Brexit was that we were no longer in Europe and therefore ineligible to be in Eurovision. 

I think we're still in Europe. 

Unless someone moved us when I wasn't looking, which is quite possible. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Whilst I am an unrepentant “remainer ”; I thought one of the results of Brexit was that we were no longer in Europe and therefore ineligible to be in Eurovision. 

There are currently 27 countries in the EU and 39 in Eurovision.

They have nothing to do with each other.

FWIW, Eurovision is run by the European Broadcasting Union, a group of public service broadcasters (no commercial riff-raff, thank you) comprising 55 full member countries in (or adjacent to) Europe. The non-European full members include Eurasian nations such as Turkey, Azerbaijan and Armenia and a substantial group of countries clustered around the Mediterranean e.g., Morocco, Tunisia, Israel, Libya and others.

There are a further 20 associate member countries including Australia (who take part in the Song Contest), China, Japan and the USA.

All told, that's 75 member countries, approximately 4 in 10 of all the nations in the world. Frankly, I don't know why they don't go the whole hog, sign every country up as a full member and call it the World Broadcasting Union. Mind you, if the South Koreans were involved they'd probably win every year, the K-Pop hit machine being what it is.

250px-Eurovision_Dance_Contest_2008_logo

It should be noted that the EBU hasn't just promoted the Song Contest; for years it proudly mounted that cultural gem Jeux Sans Frontieres while experimenting with short-lived initiatives such as the Eurovision Dance Contest wherein nations competed to be the best ballroom dancers.

The Eurovision Dance Contest only took place in 2007 and 2008 (both times in the UK) and was then 'postponed' due to lack of interest external circumstances.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 1

On 25/07/2022 at 16:41, fretmeister said:

The cost is split between all 39 competing countries. 5 countries have automatic entries into the finals and pay a bit more than the others.

Last time anyone made a Freedom of Information request was in 2010 - the UK paid about £284,000 as their share. UK didn't host then.

It costs more for the host country as they have the other overhead too, but each country pays towards it. The cost of the show depends a lot on what is put forward and how big the set is etc.

The hosts can also put in place sponsorship, the ticket sales etc to recoup.

It's still really cheap compared to other things the public purse is wasted on.

Edit for a correction and because of different news sources on it.

who are the 5 who buy their way in?

On 26/07/2022 at 08:50, Nicko said:

Me too.  I vaguely remember the Irish were desperate for their entry to fail to win because they hosted so many times and couldn't afford to keep doing it.  ...

Are you sure it wasn't just an episode of Father Ted you saw?

my-lovely-horse-a-song-for-europe.gif

• Like 1