Why become a member? ×

EuroVision Song Contest in the UK for 2023..?

Dad3353

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Kyev is twinned with Edinburgh. A natural 'home' for this..?

I don't think they have an indoor venue large enough for Eurovision which needs around 10000 seats.  Glasgow has a couple of 12500 seat venues.

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

Who pays for these boondoggles? If it’s the public purse in any way, shape or form, we should not be hosting it, given the current economic climate. 

The cost is split between all 39 competing countries. 5 countries have automatic entries into the finals and pay a bit more than the others.

Last time anyone made a Freedom of Information request was in 2010 - the UK paid about £284,000 as their share. UK didn't host then.

It costs more for the host country as they have the other overhead too, but each country pays towards it. The cost of the show depends a lot on what is put forward and how big the set is etc.

The hosts can also put in place sponsorship, the ticket sales etc to recoup.

It's still really cheap compared to other things the public purse is wasted on.

Edit for a correction and because of different news sources on it.

Edited by fretmeister
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

The cost is split between all 39 competing countries. 5 countries have automatic entries into the finals and pay a bit more than the others.

Last time anyone made a Freedom of Information request was in 2010 - the UK paid about £284,000 as their share.

It's probably gone up a fair bit but it's still way lower than other public funding things. It costs around £6-10 Million to put it on at the moment and if it was an equal split that would be about £154,000 to £256,000 per country.

The public purse wastes more than that per day on all manner of things.

Actually not bad and, given that we would shelling out wherever it's held anyway, I withdraw my objection. What I will be objecting to is the whole bloody hoopla of picking the 'winning' city that we are more than likely to be subjected to.

image.png.01fda7a199e32ede4c20d29155e625be.png

@ezbass

I updated my post as I had some conflicting info - but it seems for the modern competition the telephone voting income brings in enough money that the contributing countries actually get some money back from their donations.

Presumably following the X-Factor approach where the telephone vote pays the entire production costs and makes profit on top.

6 hours ago, ezbass said:

Actually not bad and, given that we would shelling out wherever it's held anyway, I withdraw my objection. What I will be objecting to is the whole bloody hoopla of picking the 'winning' city that we are more than likely to be subjected to.

Well, the winning city gets a couple of thousand extra quite well off tourists visiting, so it really does matter to them.

• Like 1

I thought it cost a fortune to host in your own country.

That being said, and with everyone knowing the Ukraine situation and them being unable to host, it kind of makes sense why the rest of the European voting bodies suddenly and on mass kindly voted for us this year! 

27 minutes ago, la bam said:

I thought it cost a fortune to host in your own country.

Me too.  I vaguely remember the Irish were desperate for their entry to fail to win because they hosted so many times and couldn't afford to keep doing it.  I suspect it's like the Olympics though - it costs a lot to host but the money spent is meant to bring investment/tourism and the like in

2 minutes ago, Nicko said:

I suspect it's like the Olympics though - it costs a lot to host but the money spent is meant to bring investment/tourism and the like in

I suspect its the opposite of the olympics, it costs far less to host but the money brings tourism and investment, then can still use the hall for things afterwards. I think the olympics is just a fortune to host then you find you have no use for any of the stadiums or halls you made, and have to think of some use for them. And at least unlike the olympics it doesn't go on for ever

12 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I think the olympics is just a fortune to host then you find you have no use for any of the stadiums or halls you made, and have to think of some use for them. 

I'm sure that's often the case, but it needn't be. London 2012, for example. 

19 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Me too.  I vaguely remember the Irish were desperate for their entry to fail to win because they hosted so many times and couldn't afford to keep doing it.  I suspect it's like the Olympics though - it costs a lot to host but the money spent is meant to bring investment/tourism and the like in

I remember that too - but I think that was before the telephone voting and it was just panels of professionals in each country making the choice.

161 million people watched the semi finals and the finals last time and it costs 15 pence to vote.

54 million watched the final alone - that suggests that for the countries knocked out at the semis, they don't watch the final as much.

I can't find any figures on what percentage of viewers vote but from my friends they often vote in the semis and in the final and sometimes vote for more than 1 in the final.

1 hour ago, yorks5stringer said:

Not all Olympics are the same.  My cousin lives in the Olympic village in Athens in a social housing*.  The Olympics provide an opportunity but it's up to the legacy quango to do it properly.

* I'm not sure there was much about Athens that was done right.  The stadia are unused and crumbling.  At least West Ham have a half decent stadium.