Why become a member? ×

Bass head and cab

Jazzyjeff

Enough to get a little bit rowdy I expect.

Same power divided by more speakers equals louder from acoustic coupling. +3dB for free.

More power comes out of most amps when you double up on cabs, so long as the impedance limit is respected. It used to be that a solid state amp would near double the output into half the impedance but not so much with the newer amps and all bets off with TC. Double the power would give you another 3dB.

So usually you will get a handy increase in oomph by adding the 2nd cab. If previously you were only just keeping up with the band you should get  or 4 or 5 dB in volume up your sleeve.

Posted without adding any specs yesterday feels very rude to the very knowledgeable bass community lol so it’s a bass head at 4 ohms and the cab is 8 ohms so another same cab slaved on would be ok ? That’s the last question I promise 😎🎸

17 minutes ago, Jazzyjeff said:

Posted without adding any specs yesterday feels very rude to the very knowledgeable bass community lol so it’s a bass head at 4 ohms and the cab is 8 ohms so another same cab slaved on would be ok ? That’s the last question I promise 😎🎸

Yes, 2x cabs of 8 ohm impedance will present a 4 ohm load to your head. If your head is 4 ohm rated (as you say) then you’ll be spot on.

• 1 month later...
On 24/07/2022 at 22:12, Jazzyjeff said:

Hi guys plsyed for years using big set ups, don’t have transport anymore so I got a TC Elctronic 2x8 cab with a 250w head it’s great for small gigs but was wondering if I added another cab would it increase my output 

I use two of these 2 x 8 with the BH250 or the BQ250, just gives you a fuller sound and of course slightly more power as you are delivering to 4 ohms.

2 hours ago, Alan Wilkes said:

I use two of these 2 x 8 with the BH250 or the BQ250, just gives you a fuller sound and of course slightly more power as you are delivering to 4 ohms.

Power has nothing to do with it. What determines cone excursion, which determines sound pressure level, is the amp voltage swing. A SS amp will deliver the same voltage into any impedance load, so when you add a second identical cab both will realize the same excursion. That gives a 6dB increase compared to just one. The halved impedance load results in doubling of the current draw, which results in the doubling of the power draw, but it's the doubling of cone excursion driven with equal voltage that gives the increased SPL.

• Like 3