Why become a member? ×

NBD - Fender American Original 60s Jazz - Sonic Blue

MungoBass

A pre-owned 2021 Jazz finished in Sonic Blue with 4 ply Tort pick-guard and all case candy, covers, certificate etc.  It has a slab rosewood fingerboard and with the now standard v,v,t controls I guess it is based on a ‘62 JB.  The neck has more meat on it than Custom Shop stack knobs I have played but still has the 38mm nut.

it is fitted with a fresh set of Flea GHS boomers which will be coming straight off, might put a set of TIs on it.

I’m now thinking about an off white/cream/parchment pick-guard......although the tort does look nice....!

7A3D3887-91F8-4078-A806-61668D4AEE9C.jpeg

• Like 20

I lust over sonic blue Jazzes.

They're few and far between. Most of the ones that claim to be sonic blue are actually daphne blue.

It's weird, in some lights they look white.

You have to change the scratchplate to a cream pearl one though.

That's the law.

• Thanks 1

Very pretty indeed. You simply must leave the Tort guard on it though - looks lovely as it is.

I've got a Squire CV precision in the same colour. I swapped the off white guard for a Tort one, and it instantly looked even nicer  😀

Happy NBD

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 23/07/2022 at 19:48, gjones said:

I lust over sonic blue Jazzes.

They're few and far between. Most of the ones that claim to be sonic blue are actually daphne blue.

It's weird, in some lights they look white.

You have to change the scratchplate to a cream pearl one though.

That's the law.

Cream pearl was not on my radar......hmm, interesting.  Not dissimilar to a 60/70s competition blue Mustang.

On 23/07/2022 at 21:08, Marc S said:

Very pretty indeed. You simply must leave the Tort guard on it though - looks lovely as it is.

I've got a Squire CV precision in the same colour. I swapped the off white guard for a Tort one, and it instantly looked even nicer  😀

Happy NBD

Thanks very much!  I’ve seen your Precision and that looks great too.  I placed a parchment guard on the Jazz (picture to follow) and now feel the tort will stay!

• Like 1

I have exactly that bass.  Tort for me. Just be ready for the nitro finish wearing.  Look at the bit of finish off mine.  I have no idea how it happened, they're not even dings.

Lovely bass!  But bugbear is the side dots(or lack of) which are a nightmare at a gig.

IMG_0376.thumb.JPG.89f951f4f61ceddc3a59e02dea47328d.JPG

Edited by Sarlscharisma
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2022 at 00:13, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

aged pearl would be my first choice, but the tort looks good to me

I think that is an interesting option.....and probably the best option as a backup for the tort.  I’ll order one and next time I change the strings (in a few years knowing me!) I’ll change the pickguard and it will feel like a new bass day all over again!  

On 29/07/2022 at 10:51, Sarlscharisma said:

I have exactly that bass.  Tort for me. Just be ready for the nitro finish wearing.  Look at the bit of finish off mine.  I have no idea how it happened, they're not even dings.

Lovely bass!  But bugbear is the side dots(or lack of) which are a nightmare at a gig.

IMG_0376.thumb.JPG.89f951f4f61ceddc3a59e02dea47328d.JPG

Ah....its twin!  I took the neck off to tweak the truss rod and a couple of little lacquer cracks have appeared in the nitro around the neck pocket.  I’m okay with that - all part of the ageing process!

Yes, the camouflaged side dots are not really suited to anything other than full light!

Edited by MungoBass

1 hour ago, MungoBass said:

Ah....its twin!  I took the neck off to tweak the truss rod and a couple of little lacquer cracks have appeared in the nitro around the neck pocket.  I’m okay with that - all part of the ageing process!

Yes, the camouflaged side dots are not really suited to anything other than full light!

A8B50DB9-073C-4827-8C30-D0E45E55BB65.jpeg

My AVRI 64 is exactly the same! I’ve used a paint pen to highlight the dots but seriously thinking about some luminlay markers, unless anyone else has some ideas that dont require drilling?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, King Tut said:

My AVRI 64 is exactly the same! I’ve used a paint pen to highlight the dots but seriously thinking about some luminlay markers, unless anyone else has some ideas that dont require drilling?

Hopefully a fellow BCer might have some ideas.  I’d certainly like to hear them….

• 1 month later...

Update. The bass is now wearing a set of La Bella LTFs and plays and sounds great. I found a oldish Custom Shop 60s tort guard with mint green layers which fits nicely and is lighter in colouring than the original - that is staying on!

In the OP I mentioned a slab board, but have to fess up that was incorrect! It is however a decent thickness of curved rosewood! Eye test booked!

4298B562-4E42-407C-87BB-E68AFB606973.jpeg

04A34715-EB93-4A5E-9ECE-7BDE9E4D33A8.jpeg

• Like 5