Why become a member? ×

Duck Dunn`s basses

jezzaboy

Well, sorry guys, but maybe the BS factor is rather high here, in my opinion.

Dunn was a great player, but his son has 'never wiped the sweat stains' off the back of the Lakland bass in case it destroys the mojo??   Shades of Nigel Tufnell (Spinal Tap) showing off his guitar collection here  - "Don't even look at it ! "

And the clickbait title suggests that the Dunn P bass had a serial of #0001 - err, no, it was the first of this model, not the first P bass.

And, sorry, but the guy demonstrating the basses is hardly bringing out the best of the P's with his rather limited technique.

Sorry to be so negative, but style over substance to get the clicks?

Other opinions are available. I'll get my coat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just wanted to say that I was lucky enough to see Duck play in 1993 with Booker T/Stevie C, can’t say which bass he was using - but to this day he remains such an overwhelming influence on how I approach a P bass!  RIP DDD.

• Like 2

I liked the video, I don’t see the problem not letting anyone touch or play the bass, it was the last bass his dad played. 
Some people keep locks of hair or other things from their loved ones.
My old dad kept a summer dress my mom wore the day she died 20 years ago (he never took another partner.) 

Me, I have no feelings but I certainly wouldn’t belittle people for having them.

I came around late to the soul/Motown scene but Ducks work is a great influence on me now. 

Interesting video. Duck was always a big influence and inspiration for me.

Its interesting that the Lakland is kept shut away unplayed & unpolished as it has his DNA on it. Is the US government planning to clone Duck Dunn after seeing my If you could bring back one famous musician from the dead... thread?

• Haha 2

Very cool, all the basses sound amazing, love me some La Bella flats on Precisions. Completely understand him wanting to keep the last Lakland untouched, it means a lot to him to keep the last instrument his dad touched as it was for as long as possible.

Si

• Like 2

I thought it was an interesting video.

Duck Dunn was the main influence on my early bass playing.

He always had a bass line powerful enough to turn goat p!ss into gasoline.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I thought it was an interesting video.

Duck Dunn was the main influence on my early bass playing.

He always had a bass line powerful enough to turn goat p!ss into gasoline.

Was hoping it wasn’t just me thinking this:..

”if the sh!t fits…wear it”

• Like 1

I saw him at the Festival Hall, London when they toured the Blues Brothers band after the “2000” film came out. He was playing the Fender DDD signature bass with the duck on the pick guard. He and Steve Cropper we’re obviously having a ball being out on the road again and sounded phenomenal even without Dan Ackroyd on vocals. As a bonus they had Eddie ( knock on wood) Floyd with them, 

• Like 1

Booker T & The MG’s might still be my favourite band of all time, so Duck Dunn is a big influence for me. I love Sly & The Family Stone, The Meters, The J.B’s, and all that era of soul and funk but there’s just something about the Duck Dunn lineup of the MG’s that does it for me. His playing was spot on for their records, but also all the other Stax and Atlantic artists they backed / played with. Great grooves on all of it, and rarely anything out of place. 

Loved seeing some of his gear 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meterman said:

Booker T & The MG’s might still be my favourite band of all time, so Duck Dunn is a big influence for me. I love Sly & The Family Stone, The Meters, The J.B’s, and all that era of soul and funk but there’s just something about the Duck Dunn lineup of the MG’s that does it for me. His playing was spot on for their records, but also all the other Stax and Atlantic artists they backed / played with. Great grooves on all of it, and rarely anything out of place. 

Loved seeing some of his gear 👍

What’s incredible isn’t his playing, bjt his creativity. He created some of the most infectious basslines ever, and unlike Jameson who was a lot showier he sacrificed any ego for the greater good of the song. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

What’s incredible isn’t his playing, bjt his creativity. He created some of the most infectious basslines ever, and unlike Jameson who was a lot showier he sacrificed any ego for the greater good of the song. 

Definitely. Similar thing goes for David Hood of the Muscle Shoals rhythm section, and Traffic etc. And Leroy Hodges who played on some of the Willie Mitchell records. Love that laidback but grooving style of playing.

• Like 1

So.....I love and respect Duck Dunn for his groove.....to be honest, I never cared for the content of his 

basslines....what I love about him was HOW he played them, not what he played or the gear he used: He could've played an Alembic with all the active tone shaping options, coffee grinder, and built in ketchup dispenser, and he still would've played it with that same phat groove.........its the same thing I love about Cliff Williams 

Edited by Rib13Bass