Why become a member? ×

10000 hours

wintoid

There's this idea around that 10000 hours of doing anything gets you to complete mastery. 

I'm playing about an hour a day at the moment, so that would take about 27 years in total.  During my teenage years, I reckon I played about an hour a day for maybe 5 years, and then just dribs and drabs through my 20s/30s.

So perhaps 22 years to go.  How about you?

Does anyone feel like they've pretty much mastered it in much less time?  Just interested as I seem to be making good progress, but nowhere near being able to say I'm a master.

The 10,000 hours thing is such a nonsense. People with natural ability will ‘master’ (whatever that means) a skill far more quickly, whilst those without that natural ability may never get there, wherever ‘there’’ is. From my own experience, it’s all plateaus coupled with surges in perceived competence. 

• Like 6

10k is one nice round number. It has nothing to do with skills, if there's no target and decent program to follow.

Nearly anyone that has inpiration and produces lots of perspiration because of the training, can reach something. Mastery is another story.

• Like 2

I think age also has an impact on things - when I was a kid I could spend hours at a time doing stuff, be it learning classical guitar, reading, computer programming, playing a game.  As an adult I have found that I reach saturation point much more quickly, regardless of whether I have other demands on my time or not. Also, kids don't seem to have considerations about learning stuff they want to do - they just do it. As adults we tend to look at things, stroke our chins, and thing 'Hmmm... that looks like a whole bunch of work...'

• Like 1

No matter how much I practice I know I can always be better. Just learned a song this morning for a gig next weekend, a relatively easy song but I still had to sit down and go through it a good few times. Does this make me despondent, no, it makes me feel great that I can work out a song in 30mins or so that I’ve never heard before, and also makes me look forward to the gig more.

• Like 3

When people at work find out I play, a good proportion say they wish they could play an instrument but they don't have the time to dedicate to it, and a fair few of those have quoted an arbitrary 'so-many-thousand hours to be proficient' figure that they've heard. I always just ask them to log on to their Steam (or whatever) account and show me how many hours they've clocked up playing Age of Assassins: Warfare and Witchcraft. You may be able to tell I don't game, but the people I'm talking to invariably do and their tally is usually somewhere near to (if not far in excess of) the number of thousands of hours they've just told me they don't have available.

Fortunately I don't feel I need to achieve mastery to have fun ...and anyway, if complete mastery means playing every possible style then there aren't enough hours left until the heat death of the universe to make me want to learn how to slap 😉 

• Like 5

Generalizations are never accurate.

When I was younger I was a lot better at some aspects of playing bass, but I know I do a lot of bass stuff better now.

At the start energy, determination and keenness got me a long way. Now experience and common sense covers a lot of ground.

• Like 4

I've just looked around a bit and found some interesting stuff about what Malcolm Gladwell actually said about the 10,000 hour theory. I have not read Outliers: The Story Of Success where he first talks about this idea but it seems that "10,000 hours" has become a catch phrase we all toss around without really knowing what he said, I won't try to explain it here but there are lots of online sources to learn about him and his theories, interesting guy.

...now excuse me, I have to go put in some time on my DB, a couple of gigs coming soon and at 76 my time to tally more hours is winding down fast, I may never reach "master" level unless it's soon, not counting on that. 😊 

• Like 2

I have put in three years of three hours a day on saxophone and I am still at the same stage as someone of moderate aptitude gets to in 3-6 months. The aptitude in question is being able to remember sequences of notes.  I can't, simple as that. On bass I just have to remember shapes.  There are no shapes on sax. So I am a case in not point.

• Like 1

10,000 is an arbitrary figure, but progress depends very much on how you spend the time spent working on acquiring a skill. When learning an instrument, quite a few people focus only on the instrument itself and neglect musical theory. That's OK (sort of) if they merely wish to play parts learned note for note, but they can find themselves all at sea when they need to improvise, because don't understand the "why", as opposed to the "how".

You don't need to have a comprehensive understanding of orchestral arrangement, but it's helpful to know why something works. It will speed up the learning process immensely. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, wintoid said:

There's this idea around that 10000 hours of doing anything gets you to complete mastery. 

I'm playing about an hour a day at the moment, so that would take about 27 years in total.  During my teenage years, I reckon I played about an hour a day for maybe 5 years, and then just dribs and drabs through my 20s/30s.

So perhaps 22 years to go.  How about you?

Does anyone feel like they've pretty much mastered it in much less time?  Just interested as I seem to be making good progress, but nowhere near being able to say I'm a master.

Its what you put into the 10000 hours. It needs to be specific to what you wish to be a master of. I did a 5 year apprenticeship to become a toolmaker. Every one of those 40 hours a week for 50 weeks for 5 years was focused on becoming a fully trained engineer. Apprenticeships are partly where the 10000 hours idea comes from.

• Like 2