Why become a member? ×

God loves a quitter…

AndyTravis

2 hours ago, leroydiamond said:

Lovely J bass. What make and model is it?

so in about 2009 I worked for Dawsons - we were the distributor for Farida acoustic guitars.

they sent some samples of electric basses and guitars (they would become the Squier classic vibe series)

we did a p and j with them - and I said “could you do a fretless/Sadowsky style”

they made me 2. One is fretless, one is fretted.

they’re ace. Only ones  in existence . “The twins”

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

so in about 2009 I worked for Dawsons - we were the distributor for Farida acoustic guitars.

they sent some samples of electric basses and guitars (they would become the Squier classic vibe series)

we did a p and j with them - and I said “could you do a fretless/Sadowsky style”

they made me 2. One is fretless, one is fretted.

they’re ace. Only ones  in existence . “The twins”

Great looking bass!

• Thanks 1

On 23/07/2022 at 16:41, Happy Jack said:

One of the saddest things I ever hear is when some desperate Keef Richard wannabe sees me doing something he wouldn't do, and says "not very rock'n'roll, is it?" like there's a rule book which he memorised as a 14-year-old and can't let go of.

my wife and I talk about this all the time. Who's rock n roll and why are they rock n roll.

If your persona in a band roll is rock n roll but you decide to be polite and well mannered off stage, go and do the shopping etc, are you still rock n roll?

answers on a post card to the usual address and we won't be able to returm your paintings..........................

• Haha 2

• 3 months later...

Ah yeah.

Took a while off. Haven’t played much at all recently…

Sold a big cab, got a little Epifani.

And meeting a singer/guitarist with drummer tomorrow.

Drummer has just bought a massive building project in Chester and is chewed up with that - but he wants to carry on and is happy to do that drive to Manchester every week.

I’ve taken on a new job…and been converting my garage.

So I’ve been a bit busy.

See what tomorrow brings. I’m not really bothered either way. 

The need to do it isn’t there. Which after 25 or so years is a bit of a weird feeling.

• Like 1

On 22/07/2022 at 20:20, uk_lefty said:

. . . . unfortunately music is full of dreamers, weirdos, and people who can dish out criticism but can't take constructive suggestions.

I have played with all those personality types and worse. I don't have to be best mates, but as long as they are good musicians and don't have BO I don't care which institution they escaped from.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, chris_b said:

I have played with all those personality types and worse. I don't have to be best mates, but as long as they are good musicians and don't have BO I don't care which institution they escaped from.

Yeah. When the ego doesn’t match the ability…that was the killer for me.

Not even ability, as such - just knowing limitations or range.

The drummers point was that some specific coaching would improve things.

That was taken as a personal dig - and worsened the situation.

I’d love to put something out…but I’m not feeling overly optimistic at the moment.

Id love to feedback tomorrow and say I’m reenergised.

• Like 2

On 20/11/2022 at 15:38, AndyTravis said:

The need to do it isn’t there. Which after 25 or so years is a bit of a weird feeling.

me too. It changes everything and I find it a lovely feeling. I don't need to do it now.

I do it because I want to and it's good. No more 2nd rate anything for me now. No d!ckheads or wannabees.

and I also love a weekend off too.

Be energized by your new thing, it's great feeling too

• Thanks 1

I agree with what Happy Jack says and that as a musician, we are all on the spectrum somewhere, some more than others. Even I, who thought I was the most level headed and normal person in the world has this year, after 35 years of playing come to the conclusion that I too am on the spectrum thanks to my wife and daughter pointing certain things out to me. Thankfully nothing serious just little quirks and idiosyncrasies but perhaps what I thought was perfectly normal is in fact less so. I think its impossible for a musician or in fact any artist or creative type to not be somewhere on the spectrum, its what makes us us and every real musician I have played with I have always thought had flaws with their personality, some more so than others. I just never realised that I did to. I also very much subscribe that there are a lot of dreamers, weirdos, and people who can dish out criticism but can't take constructive suggestions as well.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

I agree with what Happy Jack says and that as a musician, we are all on the spectrum somewhere, some more than others. Even I, who thought I was the most level headed and normal person in the world has this year, after 35 years of playing come to the conclusion that I too am on the spectrum thanks to my wife and daughter pointing certain things out to me. Thankfully nothing serious just little quirks and idiosyncrasies but perhaps what I thought was perfectly normal is in fact less so. I think its impossible for a musician or in fact any artist or creative type to not be somewhere on the spectrum, its what makes us us and every real musician I have played with I have always thought had flaws with their personality, some more so than others. I just never realised that I did to. I also very much subscribe that there are a lot of dreamers, weirdos, and people who can dish out criticism but can't take constructive suggestions as well.

I think it's called being human.

• Like 1