Why become a member? ×

Harke VX 8X10" speaker vs. Harley Benton 1x15" speaker

SeanT

I am looking at a Harke VX 8x10" 800 Watt 4 ohms speaker cab to replace my 1x15" Harley Benton 200 Watt 8 ohms speaker.

My amp is a1978 Peavey Series III 400 4 ohms.  Would the Harke be compatible?

I play a stand up (electric) double bass with a Shadow SH 950 bridge pickup fitted, and a MusicMan StingRay.

Would appreciate any Yoda like advice on this.

Cheers.

Amp back.png

Edited by SeanT

Yes it is compatible and will be a lot louder than your current speaker. I used one of the MK111's with a Peavey 2x15 and it sounded great. 

The big question is whether you want to lug such a big speaker around, only you can answer that. I don't think using the force will help you get it up a flight of stairs :)

Not many people are prepared to carry such a monster nowadays so you should be able to get it at a good price.

I never saw the point in a budget 8x10, they're just there for show IMO. If a cab is built down to a keen price I'd rather have the limited spec budget go towards 1 or 2 decent drivers than 8 complete pish ones.

FWIW I owned the VX215 and the VX1508, neither were great and got completely blown away by the XL cabs that replaced them which cost used about what I'd paid for the VX cabs.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1

On a few occasions I used an 810 and also a 610 with my amplified acoustic upright, and found 

that feedback was a problem, presumably due to the speakers being directly behind the 

body of the bass. From my experience I would go for a smaller cab / cabs like 1x10’s or

1x12’s. Agree with Bill’s post above too.