Why become a member? ×

Caswells Strings - waiting for order

guyl

I bought some new strings from Caswells a couple of weeks ago. (Obligatos - £200 eek!). They haven't turned up yet. The payment went through immediately. After a week, I chased by email, but got no response. Yesterday I phoned and a lady took my name, number and order number and promised to call back with an update. No call back yet.  

I remembered Caswells from their shop in Bristol years ago, but it appears that the name was sold to a completely different company based in Banbury. 

Anyone got any experience of Caswells Strings? 

I bought a cello bow off them. Same company as ever but now in an industrial estate warehouse in Banbury concentrating on internet sales.  All went well for me; they sent 4 bows in a couple of days and I dropped back the ones I didn't keep at that warehouse ( where there's a bit of a showroom). 

Similar experience to OP - bought something off them as showing ‘in stock’.

However, their ‘in stock’ means ‘we may be able to get it from our supplier’, not (as one would expect) ‘we have physical possession of said item’. 

They claimed not to see the difference when I called to chase - disingenuous and generally unimpressive, though in fairness after I had chased, it did turn up when they said it would (a while later than expected, however). 

I wouldn’t use them again. 

• 2 weeks later...

In the interests of full disclosure: The strings did eventually arrive. Also with a sincere sounding apology for the delay and also for their lack of response to my phone and email chasing. As experienced by @Jakester above, their "in stock" wasn't quite the same as my understanding of the term. Especially as they took my money immediately. And their poor communication didn't really help the situation.  

I always try to support independent retailers, but on this occasion wish I'd gone to Thomann (who were also a tad cheaper). The eventual email apology did diffuse me slightly but I'll be unlikely to use Caswell's again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, guyl said:

their "in stock" wasn't quite the same as my understanding of the term. Especially as they took my money immediately. And their poor communication didn't really help the situation.  

I just find this massively sharp practice - it's basically misrepresenting the position to customers. I really won't use anyone again that does this. Bax Shop are one of the worst too.