Why become a member? ×

Status shuts their doors

SuperSeagull

Respect to Rob and all those at Status that made these very special basses. It will be a great loss to the bass playing fraternity but hopefully (as suggested elsewhere), the company will be continued in some form - even if it will be different than the one we've come to love over the years. I foolishly sold my first one back in '06 but having recently picked up another, it's even more so a keeper now. 😃

Status Five 422

❤️❤️

• Like 2

On 26/07/2022 at 05:08, Musicman666 said:

my walnut S2...one of the final batch.

47C63595-570B-4097-A463-DBB5879FFBEE.jpeg

Inspired by Musicman666's beautiful Image and stunning bass above, I went and dragged my old Status out of storage last week.  I hadn't seen it for around a year, though still in tune of course.  Not exactly bookends, but an example from what now sadly appears to be the closing days of full-scale production, and one from the early days (well, around 1986).  Some important evolution/innovation, of course, but clear consistency in the lineage.  Whilst I'm a massive fan of pretty much everything Status (and I've had a good number of Status basses over the years), it's the SII that I think of when the brand is mentioned - sort of quintessential for me. 

IMG_5850.jpeg

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I think ours must've come from near enough the same batch. Mine's a November 2021. 

0D9CBD2E-8695-437B-8251-7CBA1DB2C8F7.jpeg

168842ED-FFA7-48A3-B72A-FF51FD9C39DB.jpeg

Wow, absolutely stunning!  Is that a flamed Walnut top?  The green wrap-around LEDs look fantastic too against the phenolic.  Obviously, fretboard LED's weren't an option when I spec'd my SII!

1 hour ago, three said:

Wow, absolutely stunning!  Is that a flamed Walnut top?  The green wrap-around LEDs look fantastic too against the phenolic.  Obviously, fretboard LED's weren't an option when I spec'd my SII!

Thanks :) it's figured walnut apparently. I must admit though, I prefer the grain on your one. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Thanks :) it's figured walnut apparently. I must admit though, I prefer the grain on your one. 

Some of the earlier one's had a very 3D chocolaty brown figured walnut, I think OutToPlayJazz had a couple like this.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, three said:

Inspired by Musicman666's beautiful Image and stunning bass above, I went and dragged my old Status out of storage last week.  I hadn't seen it for around a year, though still in tune of course.  Not exactly bookends, but an example from what now sadly appears to be the closing days of full-scale production, and one from the early days (well, around 1986).  Some important evolution/innovation, of course, but clear consistency in the lineage.  Whilst I'm a massive fan of pretty much everything Status (and I've had a good number of Status basses over the years), it's the SII that I think of when the brand is mentioned - sort of quintessential for me. 

IMG_5850.jpeg

Gorgeous.

My 30th Anniversary re-boot for comparison.

1FB5C1CB-B4A7-4302-B038-A9CDA28403F2.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Captain Bassman said:

Gorgeous.

My 30th Anniversary re-boot for comparison.

1FB5C1CB-B4A7-4302-B038-A9CDA28403F2.jpeg

Wow!  I really, really, really wanted one of these at the time of release, then was offered the chance to buy one a year or two later.  It didn't work out and I've sort of kicked myself sometimes since.  Such a lovely combination of features from across the arc of production, plus the most premium timbers!    

1 hour ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

That's incredibly kind but I'm rather smitten by yours - mine was one of the early Padauk facings rather than walnut - it's quite a deep purple red tone and has aged very nicely - it's probably become a little darker with time