Why become a member? ×

Importing a Noble DI - What's the extra costs?

Steve_M

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Are you guys running these di into the PA or as a posh pedal with an amp?

Bit of both, it's on my board last in the chain so it goes into my amp, if PA support is required, it runs into the PA as well.

I basically run my LM2 head flat at all times, the 'vintage' guff completely off etc.

I wanted to go down the route of just a power-amp, tried the GR Pureamp 800 for that, but that wasn't up to standard (IMO), would love to try out the Trickfish Bullhead Mini, which isn't just a power amp of course, but super clean/transparent by all accounts. Perhaps when life costs settle down a bit, luckily everything sounds great at the mo.

Si

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Has anyone compared or had both the noble and the jule Monique 

I have (which is weird as I'm more of a fan of SS pres) and find quite a difference.  The main advantage of the Noble for me is the form factor.  Easy fit on a board, smaller and readily portable.  Without going into great detail, the Noble is simple and straightforward - it adds a sort of polished, produced sheen to Fender type/passive basses.  I find the Monique (much) more versatile.   A very powerful tone stack, though the real magic for me is in the sensitivity pot and the interaction between that and the line level.  If you're a fan, the Monique seems to do the valve compression and sag effects brilliantly well.  I don't find any fur or break-up with mine but that's not what I'm looking for.  I find that the Monique can do what the Noble can, though not vice versa (though the latter is a real great valve pre and DI).  I don't use effects much at all, so the effects power function of the Noble isn't much use.  For context, I really only use valve pres for my one passive bass - I much prefer SS for the actives.      

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, three said:

I have (which is weird as I'm more of a fan of SS pres) and find quite a difference.  The main advantage of the Noble for me is the form factor.  Easy fit on a board, smaller and readily portable.  Without going into great detail, the Noble is simple and straightforward - it adds a sort of polished, produced sheen to Fender type/passive basses.  I find the Monique (much) more versatile.   A very powerful tone stack, though the real magic for me is in the sensitivity pot and the interaction between that and the line level.  If you're a fan, the Monique seems to do the valve compression and sag effects brilliantly well.  I don't find any fur or break-up with mine but that's not what I'm looking for.  I find that the Monique can do what the Noble can, though not vice versa (though the latter is a real great valve pre and DI).  I don't use effects much at all, so the effects power function of the Noble isn't much use.  For context, I really only use valve pres for my one passive bass - I much prefer SS for the actives.      

That’s great, thanks very much three 👍

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sibob said:

Bit of both, it's on my board last in the chain so it goes into my amp, if PA support is required, it runs into the PA as well.

I basically run my LM2 head flat at all times, the 'vintage' guff completely off etc.

I wanted to go down the route of just a power-amp, tried the GR Pureamp 800 for that, but that wasn't up to standard (IMO), would love to try out the Trickfish Bullhead Mini, which isn't just a power amp of course, but super clean/transparent by all accounts. Perhaps when life costs settle down a bit, luckily everything sounds great at the mo.

If the power amp only route isn't doing it for you then your LM2 is probably influencing the signal even though you have all the controls on their supposed "no effect" settings. This is true of all bass amps IME that they all have some baked-in tonal effect. Otherwise there would be no point in all the different manufacturers offering different amps.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

If the power amp only route isn't doing it for you then your LM2 is probably influencing the signal even though you have all the controls on their supposed "no effect" settings. This is true of all bass amps IME that they all have some baked-in tonal effect. Otherwise there would be no point in all the different manufacturers offering different amps.

Oh totally, fully understand that, especially with Markbass stuff :), as I mentioned, it all sounds great to my ears so I'm happy for now.

With regards to power-amp only setup, it wasn't that I didn't like the tone I was getting (Noble pre straight to power amp), it was that the GR amp has a particularly loud fan which I wasn't enjoying live. So a functional issue rather than tonal one.

Si

• 2 months later...

So, my update to this is that I've pulled the trigger and joined the wait list 🙂. Communication with Jack has been fantastic (only the third time a business has wanted to know about me, what I'm using currently and how I'm intending to use the product - first 2 we're Roger Sadowsky and Alex at Barefaced)!

Hopefully it'll be here late May 23 - can't wait!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

So, my update to this is that I've pulled the trigger and joined the wait list 🙂. Communication with Jack has been fantastic (only the third time a business has wanted to know about me, what I'm using currently and how I'm intending to use the product - first 2 we're Roger Sadowsky and Alex at Barefaced)!

Hopefully it'll be here late May 23 - can't wait!

Welcome to the family :)

Si

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Mine is on its way, should have it next week. Jack was even considerate enough to check if I really needed the pelican case, which I decided I didn't - I plan for it to be on either of my boards all the time. He seems like a really genuine dude, only in it to make a great product.

I'll let you know the import costs!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Update to this and at last my Noble is on the way - should be here Monday 🙂. For prosperity and on the off chance it helps any other bass brothers and sisters, I've paid £235.15 - which breaks down as £222.95 import tax and £12.20 brokerage charges.

• Like 3

Just rounding out the journey - here's the Noble on my board. It's early days but I have to say I'm really happy I ordered one. The IEM sound is the best I've ever had and, running into the FX return on my AG700, my amp sound is awesome (to my ears anyway) through my Barefaced cab/s!

Bring on the festivals!!

Have a good summer all 🙂

065DE020-9DFE-49BD-9557-E7687DF92523.jpg

• Like 7