Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass Active 5 battle! (Alleva Coppolo, Fender, Xotic)

johnpaulbass

A quick test between 3 great jazz basses, for your hearing pleasure. Which one do you like the most ? Thanks for listening!

1. Xotic XJ-1T : alder body, rosewood fingerboard, maple neck
2. Fender Marcus Miller 5 string: ash body, maple fingerboard, maple neck
3. Alleva Coppolo LM5 deluxe: empress body, maple fingerboard, maple neck

https://soundcloud.com/user-443197150/sets/5-string-jazz-bass-battle-xotic-alleva-coppolo-fender?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

IMG_5629.JPG

• Like 1

You can’t really tell what the B string is like from the sound samples as you’re just down at the very bottom. Try recording right up to the 9th-12th frets. Any 5 can sound reasonable in the first 3-5 frets. That said, the Xotic B (and the rest) sounded much better than the other two to my ears.

• Like 1

Funny how this pretty much confirmed my pre existing thoughts of my own preferences . I prefer the sound of rosewood to maple boards for finger style. I prefer passive sound over active. The Alleva was slightly richer sounding than the MM and had a much tighter sounding B string and is probably the one I’d have overall.

Sonically, I prefer the Xotic, I prefer a brighter tone and always have my (passive MIM J bass's) tone knob on fully.  With a pick the Xotic was a bit too bright for me and the other two sound better, but one could always dial back the tone.

Visually I'm not a fan of any of them but dislike the Alleva least of all-nice body, some about the headstock.

I'm going to be a heretic and state that they all sounded more or less the same to me. The Xotic seemed to be a bit brighter, the Alleva duller and the Fender somewhere in the middle . But, fundamentally, a figurative gnats c*** between them.

• Like 1