Why become a member? ×

Alternative wireless to GLXD16

Rik (ESA)

Hi folks, been waiting patiently for a glxd16 to come back in stock / in the classifieds to no avail. Anyone got a view on the best alternative please?

Had a line 6 G75 and just can't get on with it, SmoothHound was v good but dropped out at quite a short distance.

Thanks,

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also curious. The shure had so many advantages and was clearly the best thought of wireless, can't believe it's gone, there has to be a replacement on the way. 

Proper pack rather than bugs 

Pedal and rack options 

In built tuner 

• Like 1

Yeah the GLXD16 seems to be rarer than hen's teeth to get these days. Understandably, nobody wants to part with theirs which is why they almost never come up on the used market! I'd like to hope Shure have a new version on the way but who knows...

• Like 1

I know plenty of very happy GLDX16 users and thought I'd give it a go as a "step up" from my Smooth-Hound which had done me proud for several years.

However the Shure didn't seem to be doing too much more or better than the Smooth Hound, from what I could tell from my own live use. In particular they both use a transmission frequency range at 2.4 GHz which is in the peak zone for competitive wireless use (from what I understand) and that can be an issue when you have pro stage sound and lighting to compete with.

Ended up with some Boss WL-20s (also at 2.4 GHz!) and loving the form factor and not needing to take up a chunk of my pedal board. And it's also a lot less £££ than the Shure.

I think the key may to be find a wireless not using the the 2.4 GHz part of the spectrum?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rik (ESA) said:

Thanks for that, really useful - what's the range like on the Boss?

I've seen figures of 15m / 50 ft used on line and that feels about right in terms of upper range based on my own use.

One thing I hadn't appreciated until recently is the impact of "natural audio latency" i.e. the latency arising from how long it takes sound to reach your ears from your cab. As Boss points out "the speed of sound is 343m/s. If you’re standing 1 metre away from your amp, the sound will take approximately 2.9 milliseconds to reach your ears. By comparison, BOSS wireless systems offer a class-leading, ultra-low latency of only 2.3ms."

So using the Boss is equivalent to standing a further 0.8m away from your cab, which is not really a problem.

However if you're also wandering off and standing 15m away, then the natural audio latency will now be 15 x 2.9ms = 43.5 ms, which is starting to get pretty significant. For comparison I use a short "slap back" delay setting at 90 ms. I guess the lesson for me that there is going to a trade off between being super-tight with the band and entertaining the crowd by wandering off into the audience!

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

I've seen figures of 15m / 50 ft used on line and that feels about right in terms of upper range based on my own use.

One thing I hadn't appreciated until recently is the impact of "natural audio latency" i.e. the latency arising from how long it takes sound to reach your ears from your cab. As Boss points out "the speed of sound is 343m/s. If you’re standing 1 metre away from your amp, the sound will take approximately 2.9 milliseconds to reach your ears. By comparison, BOSS wireless systems offer a class-leading, ultra-low latency of only 2.3ms."

So using the Boss is equivalent to standing a further 0.8m away from your cab, which is not really a problem.

However if you're also wandering off and standing 15m away, then the natural audio latency will now be 15 x 2.9ms = 43.5 ms, which is starting to get pretty significant. For comparison I use a short "slap back" delay setting at 90 ms. I guess the lesson for me that there is going to a trade off between being super-tight with the band and entertaining the crowd by wandering off into the audience!

have you got any positional recordings, or can do some from any of your gigs to demonstrate next to the amp and in the crowd.

Would be really interesting to hear the difference for us considering wireless and movement

On 01/08/2022 at 17:44, Al Krow said:

I know plenty of very happy GLDX16 users and thought I'd give it a go as a "step up" from my Smooth-Hound which had done me proud for several years.

However the Shure didn't seem to be doing too much more or better than the Smooth Hound, from what I could tell from my own live use. In particular they both use a transmission frequency range at 2.4 GHz which is in the peak zone for competitive wireless use (from what I understand) and that can be an issue when you have pro stage sound and lighting to compete with.

Ended up with some Boss WL-20s (also at 2.4 GHz!) and loving the form factor and not needing to take up a chunk of my pedal board. And it's also a lot less £££ than the Shure.

I think the key may to be find a wireless not using the the 2.4 GHz part of the spectrum?

I'm surprised that you think this, as I've got a GLDX16 and it is certainly the best wireless that I have ever used (and I've gone through a fair few over the years). I've never had any issues with it at all, and I play a variety of venues, from small pubs to theatres / outdoor festivals with big pro stages / lighting rigs, etc. If I could find one s/h for a reasonable price, I would get it just as a back-up. 

I quite like having the receiver on my pedalboard, as it means that I don't have to carry a rack around and it makes it easier when I have to use a house rig, etc. Mind you, my pedalboard at the moment contains just the GLDX16 receiver, a tuner and a compressor... 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, peteb said:

I'm surprised that you think this, as I've got a GLDX16 and it is certainly the best wireless that I have ever used (and I've gone through a fair few over the years). I've never had any issues with it at all, and I play a variety of venues, from small pubs to theatres / outdoor festivals with big pro stages / lighting rigs, etc. If I could find one s/h for a reasonable price, I would get it just as a back-up. 

I quite like having the receiver on my pedalboard, as it means that I don't have to carry a rack around and it makes it easier when I have to use a house rig, etc. Mind you, my pedalboard at the moment contains just the GLDX16 receiver, a tuner and a compressor... 

Now why have you got a tuner (given that Shure has that built in)?

See what I didn't ask about? 😄 

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Now why have you got a tuner (given that Shure has that built in)?

See what I didn't ask about? 😄 

Good question!

I suppose that it's just if I wasn't to use the wireless for some reason (forgot to charge up the transmitter or whatever), I would still have the tuner / mute to plug straight into. I don't have pedals fighting for space on my mini pedaltrain board, so there's no reason not to take the tuner pedal. 

It's not as if I haven't got a TC clip-on tuner for checking the tuning backstage, but to be frank, I'm just used to (and trust) the pitchblack pedal. 

Edited by peteb

I like the look of the Sennheiser receiver, small and stylish and the specs look like a good comparison with the Shure BUT, I just can’t be doing with these bug style transmitters. The great thing about the Shure is the solid metal(old school style) transmitter, and the fact that it takes rechargeable, replaceable batteries that last a very long time.

• Thanks 1